gap problem

dmastracchio

So I finally got my 180 in the house, on the stand and completed most of the plumbing. As I was installing the lights I decided to begin filling since I am using a RO/DI, and I figured it's going to be about a week to fill everything include the sump and refug.

It's got about 2 inches of water and I noticed it was a little off level. When putting the level on the stand, it's fine, and also the tank, but this is what I noticed and I did not notice until the lights when on...

205607_567699559131_76004184_32186504_4503869_n.jpg

208731_567699574101_76004184_32186505_1530406_n.jpg

223474_567699594061_76004184_32186506_6352894_n.jpg

222026_567699604041_76004184_32186507_5805024_n.jpg

As you can see (or maybe you can't), the trim on the left and right side is preventing the trim on the front and back from contacting the stand. The side trim is placed on top of the front and back trim giving it about an extra 1/8" space.. So my question is..

how can i fix this? cut the trim so it works? piece of foam under the tank?

The tank is a 180, 6x2x2'

Ammonia - 0
Nitrates - 0
Nitrites - 0
ph - 0
Salinity - 0

If it is just the edge of the trim i would not worry about it. If it is more than half the trim i would put something under it like foam.

from what i can see it maynot be a big deal but just to be on the safe side u can buy a 1/2" or up foam insulation at lowes and put that under the tank. for piece of mind. u dont want to fill up the tank and crack under pressure.

It's the whole length of the tank, as you can see from the first picture, the trim's overlap each other. So the gap is consistent all the way to the other side. I am just afraid, even with the foam, it will still have the same problem.

edit..... I am not trying to ask the whole, do i put foam under a tank or a trimmed tank etc. I know trimmed tanks shouldn't need foam, but the company overlapped the trim which is causing that gap, so that's why I am asking if a piece of foam will solve the problem?

Last edited:
I have never seen trim overlap like that on any tank. It kinda defeats the purpose of a rim as it isnt even one continuous piece. You have a design issue there. What kind of tank is it?

Do not put foam under the tank to fix that.

That is unacceptable. Who makes the tank? You will need to contact them. Maybe for a replacement trim. How is the tank manufactured.

Is there a solid bottom pane that the side panes are sitting on top of or is the bottom pane inside the vertical panes?

Are you shure its supposed to be a rimed tank? Could it be a rimless tank that they just put protective trim on to ship? If its supposed to be rimless then you need to pull that black stuff off and get a sheet of 1/2 inch foam for it to sit on. If its supposed to be rimed then I would contact glasscages because the rim is junk.

Positive it's not suppose to be a rimless tank. According to them / their website, all their tanks must be on a piece of foam or it voids their warranty ( which from what I heard is crap anyway )

I am in the process of contacting them to see what happens but ya, I don't think their should have to be a piece of foam on there as the trim was placed on their wrong.

For future reference, you want foam under rimless tanks to even out the pressure on the glass since all of the weight is on the bottom panel. You DO NOT want foam under rimed tanks as they are designed for the weight to be supported by the rim and if you put them on foam the pressure on the bottom glass can crack it.

Good luck. Hope you get it worked out.

it looks like a rimless eurobraced tank. that what they sell mostly in 100 gall and up. and yes it does require a foam under it. i have the same version of tank from them but smaller 125gal.

also after placing a foam under it ur black rim looking thing will sink in the foam leveling ur glass tank to the foam and when u fill water in the tank it will sink a hair more thus keeping the pressure of the tank even throughout over the foam. they told me 3/4" min on foam but i went with 1" and it did sink a few centimeters. tank is as perfect as it can be when it comes to level.

Back