Garibaldi Damsel, anyone know where i can get one?

Do you have a temperate setup? These guys really shouldn't be in water much above 60 degrees. They will only live a fraction of their lifespan in tropical temperatures.

I had a Garibaldi for about 2 years before I sold him to a fellow reefer. My tank was 77 year round. Very hardy fish and highly active in my tank but ended up liking to pick on other fish and shrimp. They get big so watch out.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10452070#post10452070 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by stevedola
I had a Garibaldi for about 2 years before I sold him to a fellow reefer. My tank was 77 year round. Very hardy fish and highly active in my tank but ended up liking to pick on other fish and shrimp. They get big so watch out.

That's great, but I wouldn't suggest a Garibaldi for a tropical tank since in most cases their lifespan is greatly shortened. The specimens collected at the southern most area of their range may last longer. Since all legally collected specimens are from Mexican waters now it may help a little with longevity, but they're by no means a fish that should be subjected to tropical temps.

My fish never showed signs of stress or ill comfort. In fact the reefer I sold him to still has him and from the pics hes doing well. Still alive since I bought him in Aug/Sept 2004. JME-

Do all Garibaldi Damsels originate from cool waters? or are some found in warmer waters?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10454250#post10454250 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by stevedola
My fish never showed signs of stress or ill comfort. In fact the reefer I sold him to still has him and from the pics hes doing well. Still alive since I bought him in Aug/Sept 2004. JME-

Do all Garibaldi Damsels originate from cool waters? or are some found in warmer waters?

They're all from cool water, but those at the southern most area of their range would be warmer cool waters. I do believe the temps can reach mid 70's at their peak, so temp could be less of a concern. However, after you consider all that very very few people have tanks appropriate for these monster damsels even if you do keep your temps lower.

If anyone knows any online rare/hard to find fish sellers similar to Marine Center would you mind sharing?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10455455#post10455455 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Peter Eichler
They're all from cool water, but those at the southern most area of their range would be warmer cool waters. I do believe the temps can reach mid 70's at their peak, so temp could be less of a concern. However, after you consider all that very very few people have tanks appropriate for these monster damsels even if you do keep your temps lower.

Yes, but those temps would not be constantly that high. They are lower more often than being that high. Running a tank at full tropical temps year round WILL have an impact. As far as life span goes, I will rescind my statements if one has been kept alive for 10+ years while maintaining tropical temps. Otherwise, 3 years isn't long.

Back