GCIF Saves Me from Injury

zmckenzie

Premium Member
Hello fellow Enthusiast,

Today a scary thing happened and along with stupidity could have ended in complete disaster. I made some now frag racks for my frag tank and when putting the new ones in I was lazy and kept the light plugged in and just held it with one hand as I put the racks in (mistake #1). I am not sure how, but the light (4 bulb t5) managed to slip out of my hands and into my frag tank. Only worrying about the light and corals before even thinking I threw my hand into the water to recover it (mistake #2). Just as I hit the water I thought to myself SH**! Of course in this time I didn’t realize that all of my lights and pumps went off and was thankful that I didn’t get shocked. The moral of the story is that if you don’t have GCIF plugs get them. Either install them or do what I did and just by one of the shockbusters. Not sure how much injury I could have endured but I am glad I didn’t find out. GCIF should be on the top of everyone’s equipment list.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12276836#post12276836 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by pito
Glad your still with us

Ditto. That could've been serious. I'm sure we all seem to be an inch or two short in workspace no matter how big the tank area is. Perfect example for the use of GCFI.

Re: GCIF Saves Me from Injury

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12276807#post12276807 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by zmckenzie
Hello fellow Enthusiast,

Today a scary thing happened and along with stupidity could have ended in complete disaster. I made some now frag racks for my frag tank and when putting the new ones in I was lazy and kept the light plugged in and just held it with one hand as I put the racks in (mistake #1). I am not sure how, but the light (4 bulb t5) managed to slip out of my hands and into my frag tank. Only worrying about the light and corals before even thinking I threw my hand into the water to recover it (mistake #2). Just as I hit the water I thought to myself SH**! Of course in this time I didn’t realize that all of my lights and pumps went off and was thankful that I didn’t get shocked. The moral of the story is that if you don’t have GCIF plugs get them. Either install them or do what I did and just by one of the shockbusters. Not sure how much injury I could have endured but I am glad I didn’t find out. GCIF should be on the top of everyone’s equipment list.

You and me both! I had a similar experience this past weekend, and actually started my own thread a couple hours ago.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1364721

Your breaker would have blown in your fuse box without a GFCI thats a massive Short you created when the Lights Entered the Water

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12277558#post12277558 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by FEEDERFISH
Your breaker would have blown in your fuse box without a GFCI thats a massive Short you created when the Lights Entered the Water

This tank is in one of the labs i work in at school. Not sure if this would have happened. I am glad i didn't find out. I just added the GCIF about two weeks ago.

It doesn't take but a fraction of that second with enough volts to fry you for good.

A split second with sufficient amps will kill you. I came within a split second of getting really shocked last year. I reached down to pick up the VHO lamp cords that were laying in the standing water in the basement. The split second I touched them I felt a shock and heard the GFCI kick off instantly. I could have been toast as well. It's well worth it to think ahead and make sure you install GFCI plugs.

Amps are what kill you, not voltage.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12277558#post12277558 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by FEEDERFISH

I hope no one has breakers in their fuse box. :)

I know that a lot of people do not like to have everything plugged into a GFCI. This way not everything gets shut off. I think now is a good time to ask what people like to have plugged in and vise versa.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12277844#post12277844 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Freed
I hope no one has breakers in their fuse box. :)

HA! I do I have had my box updated.....And yes Amps Kill not voltage, I have been hit by 475V AC on a CCFL Inverter, just put a small black hole in my finger and a numb arm, I have also been hit with VHO lamps as they fell in a tank while I worked at a LFS! Yikes !

I remember an old thread where the person shocked became "frozen" with hand in water. Claimed he could think, but not move. If I remember correctly, eventually his legs gave way removing him from the water. I've been using GFCI's ever since reading that story.

These are scary stories to read and good reminder to us all how dangerous playing with electricity and water really is.

Back