Generator recommendation

I think I want to buy a generator. It'll be pretty much just for emergencies and occasional scheduled outages. I'm not sure if I should go harbor freight or Honda or something in between. Also, my Apex tells me that my tank is pulling about 8 amps. A 2200 watt generator should be more than enough right?

Any recommendations?

I bought a whitewesting house generator last month for my RV and emergency for tank. Runs 14 hours on half load or 9 hours full load. And super quiet.i got the dual fuel but the gas version is cheaper. Harbor freight is a hit or miss. I got this one on Amazon the 4 year warranty was only $79
55895e93fef5e6073a7f75e0fa56cc73.jpg

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using Tapatalk

Look into Champion Inverters, also see what Costco is offering they did have Yamaha's for 450 bucks. You could watch some videos on YouTube,

During a power outage, no need to run lights or skimmer, you just need basic life support (temperature control and water oxygenation either through return pump or powerhead or air bubbler). With my 2000w generator, I was able to run basic life support for 3 tanks, small freezer in the garage, fridge/freezer in the house, TV, and PS4.

I'm currently using a Champion inverter generator and while it works really well and is fairly quiet, I'll always wonder if I should have paid the money for a Honda.

I would love to know how u got that shipped from amazon to CA [savethereef] (the westinghouse gen)... I tried 4 different times over 3 months and order was canceled every time as they said it was not CARB approved and couldnt ship/sell to or in CA. so I bought a WEN instead

NO love for the cheapo Generators? We have two Harbor Freight Tailgators. They cost 124 dollars, but there is always a 20% coupon your can print out. A single one will power all of our fish tanks and refrigerator. It can run overnight without refueling.

Very durable and easy to fix when you got issues (none yet).

Hondas are cool, but they require motor oil like your car. That's a deal breaker for me. In a pinch I want just use the gas for the mower and start her up.

I would love to know how u got that shipped from amazon to CA [savethereef] (the westinghouse gen)... I tried 4 different times over 3 months and order was canceled every time as they said it was not CARB approved and couldnt ship/sell to or in CA. so I bought a WEN instead
Same on my end. I was looking for either the Cummins or Whitewesting house. Both showed back ordered. I looked everyday about 3 to 4 times a day. Finally it popped up for the Carb approved version but with Dual Fuel so it was about $200 more. I said screw it its a better option in case I can't get gas and I have propane. Also the prices change on Amazon every 14 minutes due to there algorithm. So if you see it pull the trigger.

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using Tapatalk

I got this one.... (except from amazon) which on amazon now says cant ship to CA despite saying CARB legal in title. open frame and it is like having a gas edger running but making a sound box for it. should keep tanks, fridge, freezer, and a few misc items running when needed. also have UPS's on all tanks (one pump each) and the wifi that should last for 6-10hrs b4 need to worry about them to much.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/WEN-RV-Ready-4000-Watt-Gas-Powered-Open-Frame-Inverter-Generator-CARB-Compliant-GN400i/311444607?mtc=Shopping-B-F_D28I-B-D28I-28_7_GENERATORS-MULTI-NA-Feed-PLA-NA-NA-BASE_SHP&cm_mmc=Shopping-B-F_D28I-B-D28I-28_7_GENERATORS-MULTI-NA-Feed-PLA-NA-NA-BASE_SHP-71700000036990218-58700004130288150-92700050232603507&msclkid=df3e562db1641ee87dd409b5dc9bf47c&gclid=df3e562db1641ee87dd409b5dc9bf47c&gclsrc=3p.ds

I have one sitting in the garage too. bought MANY years ago, never used. Still in box. Bought the larger one to be able to power more things...

Then you are set! Save your money for corals when the electricity comes back.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. So many options...

I'm tempted by the Tailgators but just worried that the thing will fail when I need it. I bought a Harbor Freight power washer a couple years ago and it lasted all of 9 months.

God that small Honda 2200w looks sexy but $1,100 is a lot of dough. I still don't quite get the difference between the generators and the invertor generators. The ones that are marked as just generator still seem to have 110v outlets, or maybe I'm looking at the wrong thing.

I sold my Honda and bought the larger HF predator generator. It’s been working great and believe it or not it’s even more quiet than the Honda. I was shocked.

Back