Getting back in….kinda sorta probably

Grace's Dad

Wow, once I finally figured out how to log back in it said I was last here 8 years ago. Anyway, long battle with depression and alcoholism and letting my tank get completely covered in coralline. Good news is that I just hit a year sobriety 10/6. More good news is we cleaned the tank up this weekend and when coralline sits that long it almost falls right off.
I did manage to kill off all the aiptasia over the years by keeping a file fish alive and adding some nudi's. I couldn't tell you which of the two did the job since I couldn't see much inside the tank.
I have a new ballast ordered and on the way and a bunch of equipment to go through and see what still works.
I will post pictures of my nightmare once I figure out how from this phone. It's been too long and I don't remember how. I went to file upload and it rejected them. The photo thing at the top wants a url.

Welcome back and congratulations on the sobriety. 1 year is a major milestone and something to be very proud of.

I share a similar story. My tank has been sitting since 2013 or 14 with a few fish and corals. I just decided to get it back online a few months ago and I am over a year and a half into my sobriety. I found a local sober bar and have made many good friends there. They are the best support group a person could ask for and I don't think I could have done it without them.

042b14ba92d9f69e83649a46fcd1d911.jpg

02e46b0752b664e7d5a7a582878dd314.jpg

1903493af5d30365da94b3439382b3cd.jpg

41a154ae37f4d74311e5f77f07e71f61.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Epicfly- yeah I just hit AA a lot. I was never a big social/bar drinker. I did my damage at home alone.

Nook- that tank is still un-skinned and not much done to it since that one time I had people over here when it was newish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, that is some coraline. I wish I could have got a hold of you before you scrapped it all off. I hardly have any because I let my Alk, Cal and Mag get out of whack for so long. They have been in a good range and stable for about a month. I am just now seeing some small specs on the glass. Now I just need it to grown on my rocks.

Congrats man, that no small feat. It crazy I just logged in here and posted something similar and started catching up reading and came across this. I wish I could say I had a year but I am moving forward day by day. Wish you the best!

Sorry for bumping, but I haven't been here for a long time and just found this thread. First of all, my congratulations! You really should be proud of yourself. I know what depression is from my own experience, and I should say, it became more severe since the pandemic began. I'm currently on Canada Drugs meds, but I do want to take off them. Maybe I need to try something new like yoga or meditation. I heard a lot of people find it helpful.

Last edited:
Back