Getting back in and have found a used setup - I think

FTReef

Hi all - wondering if I can get some advice on a setup I found and am thinking about buying.

An LFS near me brought a long time customer's tank in on consignment. I'll spare the story on why and who the seller is but from what I can gather and research the major components of the system include:

Waterbox 100.3 tank
Maxpect Recurve 90 lights
Reef Octopus skimmer
Tunze 5017 ATO
Titanium heating element (don't know brand)
Pump (don't know brand)
Reefwave 25 Flow Pump
Bioplate
120 lbs of mature live rock

Tank was bout in Aug 2019 and has been running about a year, the owner was knowelgable and it doesnt seem like he cut corners on the tanks components. The tank is currently in operation at the LFS and i observed it running. The shop and owner are willing to move the setup and install it in my home refilled with the mature water.

They offered it to me for $3000. Is this a fair deal? Thanks in advance for your input.

My advice is go to the internet and prices of some of our sponsors as pretty good gauges of fair market, and price out the items you can identify. The live rock is not inconsiderable, probably about 500 or upward, depending on quality. The brands are good, top-end brands. Just tote up what you could spend buying the pieces from a typical seller, and look at the convenience of what's offered, knowing that the parts fit, etc.

Thx [MENTION=116634]Sk8r[/MENTION]... I did my best to price it out and estimated the owner put $4,500-$5,000 into it. There maybe more components I'm missing in my itemized list but it seems like a reasonable discount. Wasn't sure if I should try and negotiate more of a discount for this setup given it's used.

My sense is some of the setup (like the rock and water) is like a bottle of wine. Get's more valuable with age haha! The fact that I don't have to cycle it as a new tank is somewhat attractive too.

If anyone thinks I'm crazy to do it this way I'm totally open to opinions.

I've always figured if I didn't find the Kraken occupying used live rock, it's all good. :) I'm pretty sure this would be a good system, and you might dicker a bit, but if you're happy, and the seller is happy, and you have id'ed any component that will need replacing, it sounds like a deal. One thing I'd be sure of is that that tank has 1/2" to 5/8ths inch glass, and that its optical quality is good. Thinner glass with more water is scary. You didn't name your pump. Get them to turn that on for you, and give it a listen. I have an great and near-immortal Iwaki that sounds like a jetliner revving up, but that's ok for me, since it's in a basement sump. But you sure wouldn't want it in an occupied area of your house.

Thanks for the input. I mainly wanted to be sure I wasn't getting taken advantage of. I could dicker more on price but my understanding is the seller, who will actually be helping the lfs owner deliver and set up the tank to my house, is a first responder in my area who had to let go of the tank because of an unexpected family situation. I figure the guy is heartbroken enough having to sell it.

Hey. I am not from the state's however I tend to value used equipment at around 50% of new.

As stated above 'mature water' is effectively waste. If that's what they are selling, laugh at them.

When it's moved, the live rock and any other mechanical filters need to be kept in water to avoid die off.

Ideally you want a fresh mix of water ready.

Having them deliver and set up is handy, but for me half the fun is breaking down and transporting everything. You just need to plan and get containers.

Personally I would start negotiations with 2k, then maybe get to 2.5k.

Well that's what I would do in the UK anyway.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Hey. I am not from the state's however I tend to value used equipment at around 50% of new.

As stated above 'mature water' is effectively waste. If that's what they are selling, laugh at them.

When it's moved, the live rock and any other mechanical filters need to be kept in water to avoid die off.

Ideally you want a fresh mix of water ready.

Having them deliver and set up is handy, but for me half the fun is breaking down and transporting everything. You just need to plan and get containers.

Personally I would start negotiations with 2k, then maybe get to 2.5k.

Well that's what I would do in the UK anyway.

Nearly forgot to add.

I have "moved" around 30 tanks, for my self or friends. I find this experience is much more difficult than starting one and building slowly

Back