Getting back into hobby - Phase One

RealReef

Not new to hobby but getting back into it after a house move and one year away. Had a successful Oceanic 55 for 5 years which I sold off and now looking at a 150 - 180. First phase is tank purchase, glass or acrylic. Thoughts?... I'm afraid of scratches. Leaning toward glass again with the Oceanic Utimate 158. Question.... has anyone had experiece with Glasscages.com? Good, bad... indifferent. Their stands/canopy look nice.... how is their tank construction?

The feedback on this forum has always been appreciated and extremely, extremely helpful.

No... when I got into this hobby back in 2002 Oceanic was he glass tank to get.... let me do some research.... any links would be helpful.

there seem to be a lot of people that say glass cages are awsome brand but ive heard just as many people hate it and have tons of horror stories. i would go with glass but a lot o f people prefer acrylic for larger aquariums like that because glass is extremely heavy. i still vote for glass though. looks a lot better in the long run.

Yes... All-Glass did purchase Oceanic a few years back..... Still a quality made tank from what I read. Not 100% in love with their stands.... hence looking for some feedback on Glass Cages.

I am leaning towards the glass still even with the weight issue. Knowing that cleaning the panels will be an ongoing task the acrylic and potential scratches pushes me toward glass.

Thanks for your responses.

yes go with Glass. I have a 180 acrylic hard to get into and no razor blades makes it very hard to get into it with a scrubby pad.

good luck and welcome back!

I have a glasscages tank with no issues. I purchased from a LFS. The issues I hear about glasscages is their customer no service, and hit or miss delivery schedule. But only from others at reef club, not from personal experience.

Back