Getting back into the Hobby, need advice

TimTen

Hi everyone,

I just got back into the hobby after 8 years. I have a IM Nuvo 20gal. I would like some advice on how to set up the back compartments. I'm thinking of ditching the filter socks and possibly running an IM reactor(not sure on this). Or I was thinking of running two of the caddies with rock rubble and filter floss. I've also added a ATO. Should I run a skimmer, what would you recommend? Would you run the reactor or just Carbon/GFO bags in the Caddy? What are these filter balls? Seems like a lot has changed over 8 years.

Thanks for all your help

For the most part sufficient rock in the main tank can eliminate the need for any additional filtration,etc... Bacteria does 99% of the work in a tank and methods to maintain large populations of bacterial both nitrifying and denitrifying are always beneficial/suggested..
That is the only thing thats "mandatory" IMO.. All this stuff after is optional..

"Rubble/filter balls,etc.." are just ways to increase surface area to help maintain higher bacterial populations.

GFO should be used to treat an actual phosphate problem as overuse can cause more problems than it solves.

Carbon can help with water clarity by removing some yellowing agents,etc.. and needs to be changed fairly often (month or so)

A reactor helps improve the efficiency of media like GFO/carbon by forcing larger volumes of water in/around it vs it just sitting in a bag.

A skimmer can certainly be useful in tanks too to remove proteins/organics before they breakdown but some tanks seem to do better without them.

Choice is really yours...
IMO plan for more but start simple and adapt/adjust as needed..

Back