Getting back into the hobby!

dg3147

It's been a few years and about to take the plunge and get back into the reefing hobby...super excited! Wondering whats new and how to avoid younger mistakes. Assuming budget is not the over ridding concern...

1) thinking about the larger Water Box aquariums and sump ....quality issues? (seems odd their sump has the fuge before the return pump (and return pump adjacent to skimmer...bubble issues in DT?), But otherwise looks like it's a good fit.

2) lighting? back in the day (2018), LED created a spotlight effect and was a bit vertigo inducing when looking into the tank. Are the premium LED's better than LED/t5 hybrid now? (or comparable)? Thoughts on the high end Radions? (pro vs non-pro?)

3) skimmer? Water box comes with "quantum". How does this compare to my old set -up?

4) Return pump, is vortech ok? ditto for in tank circulation.

Priority is reliable, quality, and quiet. (my old tank set-up: Elos 160XL | Powermodule LED/T5 | BK Double cone 200 | Pasadena, CA)

Welcome back to the hobby! I have no experience with Waterbox but have heard they’re good systems. I just can’t advise on the possible issues you’re asking about.

As for lighting, my experience in LED is limited but they do have a variety of systems now from ones using the LED pucks to help get shimmer to those with wide array. I personally can’t advise on the radions but can say your best bet would be too YouTube the lights you want to use to see their effect on vertigo issues. There are still metal halide and T5 systems as well if you don’t want LED. Best yet, check out your LFS to see what lighting they have to see how you like it. I have LFS that run Neptune Sky and Kessils.

I run a reef octopus skimmer on my tank, again no experience with Quantum

Vortech is still a top quality brand. I don’t run them but many people do. Hopefully some others can chime in with better advice

Back