Getting bored with frags?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EleganceMan

ok am i the only one who is sick of frags....i want a coral for my tank....not a couple inch piece of a coral. Anyone know where i can buy some large corals....

Is that what your sig is referring to: " hard coral 1" " lol sorry, patience is a virtue.

its funny.....i want what i cant have....cause with fish its the opposite...i want the tiny ones and usually you cant get them that small.

There is a LFS buy me that always has a large variety of 5-6" colonies. Sometimes even bigger than that, I bought a 7-8" stylophora 1 time. Its a pretty far ride from North Dakota to New Jersey though. There has to be an online dealer of colonies.

I think I saw some colonies on Live Aquaria's Divers Den the other day.

don't know about sps yet. but aquaticauction.com as some nice size lps usually and i think they are going to be doing sps soon

Yeah would have to be a wild colony. My LFS does have them regularly at that size. Be careful though... wild colonies are a bit hit or miss. My success rate with them is about 50%. Look in the SPS corals section in Divers Den for the wild stuff. Not sure I've seen anything 10" there though.

Maybe try some known fast growers like birdsnest, or tricolor acros.

3/25
DSCF0153.jpg

4/5
DSCF0020.jpg

3/25
DSCF0150.jpg

4/5
DSCF0017.jpg

Only takes a few months for the right frags to become impressive colonies.

IMO, you are better off with frags, and giving them the proper conditions, and they will grow to the sizes you want in no time. Looking for 10 + inch colonies is going to be difficult, most of the time they will be wild "caught" ones, which have a poor track record --- I won't even bother getting them any more.

This coral went from,

millieplustopdown.jpg

To this (( at least 10" across, and I have broken off the tip near the glass a lot, should be bigger ))

Pic6.jpg

Lucky guy! I have a 16g and can't find anything small enough. Although if I had a 210g tank I would want corals as large as a basketball!!

Didnt you just have a major tank disaster last month? And isnt the tank only 2 months old or so? Id hold off on buying "10 inch SPS" until everything is stable.

IMO you can't buy a beautiful tank of SPS. It can only be grown and it takes years. Corals grown from frags are also a bit more forgiving, as the colonies that you raise are acclimated to your particular tank.

Besides, when I show off my tank I prefer to show off my big colonies and say: "I grew that grapefruit-sized colony from a pea-size frag" rather than "I bought that big coral for $900.00 from Isellsuperextremesexymegaexpensivecorals.com"

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14769738#post14769738 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Creade
Didnt you just have a major tank disaster last month? And isnt the tank only 2 months old or so? Id hold off on buying "10 inch SPS" until everything is stable.

UMM....NO...AND NO!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back