Getting rid of Aiptasia's

tangy2

Recenlty I've been noticing the aiptasia's all over my tank, I've used the Aiptasia Control chemical, but there are so many small ones that I can't even reach to. I found that introducing berghia nudibranchs into the tank can get rid of these annoying pests. Is there any websites that others have used that I can trust to buy from. Has anyone ever used "Salty Underground" ? Thanks for your help!

I've ordered from berghia.net with great results.
The Berghias are not an over night tretment and will take months for you to see results. Once in a while at night you will see the Berghias, and they will have gotten fatter and bigger, meaning that they are doing their job.

But once the aptaisia are gone you will need to give them to someone or bring them to a store for credit. Peppermint shrimp will also eat aptaisia, but you can keep them after the aptaisia are gone because they will eat most of the typical foods you would feed your fish. But then again, not all pepps will eat them either...

I had an infestation of them in 2 of my tanks. Some had grow to 4-5 inches. Bought a Copperband Butterfly and they all dissapeared in about 2 weeks. Boy has he grown! Peppermint shrimp could not keep up with the infestation but the Butterfly took care of the problem.

I have a 90g tank and began to have problems with aiptasia (at least 40 or more). I added 5 peppermint shrimp and they have almost completely eliminated them all in less than 2 months.

Good luck,
Steve

But if you have a wrasse, probably forget about the peppermint shrimp. Mine made quick work of about $20 bucks worth of peppermints. But he won't touch the cleaners, who knows, strange fish.

I'm going with berghias all the way. Does anybody know if a wrasse would be predisposed to pick or eat berghia nudibrachs?

Just a heads up! good luck, I'm working on the same problem.
ltz,
andy

3 Peppermints cleaned my tank in 3 weeks. Not bad for $12. Berghias were going to cost me close to $100 with shipping and all. Forget that noise.

I believe its the black tailed Carribean Peppermints that are the Apistasia eaters....there is another variety of Peppermints that wont touch them... we've got 5 in our 125 and I think its time to add a Copperband Butterfly to the mix to keep the suckers under control....

This is going to sound strange but my LFS had a show tank covered with aiptasia's, I asked how they got rid of them and they said that they lowered phosphate.
Old Mike

Back