Getting Rid of this Coral Killing Algae

Jmunk

So I believe I identified the source of why this algae is growing, and that is flow. It only is apparent in one third of the tank and that is the area with the least amount of flow. However, within that one third of the tank, it's doing some damage. It's growing these "vines" that take over my coral and engulfs them.

I have two powerheads coming, and I plan to do a water change soon, but what's the most effective method for removing this? Manual removal can be hard just because of how they are entangled within the coral. I heard of people using a peroxide paste, is this safe? Effective? Any other methods?

IMG_1132_zpshop041k8.jpg

IMG_1133_zpsefbgxvrv.jpg

IMG_1134_zpsyogjz6x8.jpg

It looks like bryopsis to me. Many have reported success with Kent Tech M raising magnesium higher than normal (1500 ppm, I think). Peroxide dips will kill it. I think the peroxide paste would harm the corals in your case. That's good for areas away from coral from what I understand. My foxface keeps it out of my display, but it still grows in my overflow box.

It looks like bryopsis to me. Many have reported success with Kent Tech M raising magnesium higher than normal (1500 ppm, I think). Peroxide dips will kill it. I think the peroxide paste would harm the corals in your case. That's good for areas away from coral from what I understand. My foxface keeps it out of my display, but it still grows in my overflow box.

Looks like grape calpura algae.
Nutrient control and manual export.

Actually it looks like both

What all three of them said. I see both.

Looks like grape calpura algae.
Nutrient control and manual export.
I know, as I stated manual export is very difficult with some of the places the algae has reached, which is why I was hoping some sort of paste or dip would work.

I had a similar issue with bubble algae pushing out my zoas, like pushing them off the LR. It took a emerald crab and a revap of my sump light/main tank lights to stop this. The calpura I had in the past was easy to remove manually, just had to be careful if it grew under certain corals. Pulled it out like a string.

You could try clipping what sticks out from the corals. I dont know of any paste or dip to use.

I've had some hair in my zoas lately that has been irritating them. A 30-45 second dip in a 50-50 mix of 3% peroxide and saltwater has taken care of it.

Yes emerald crabs are great for this as they will eat both algae. I would however get small crabs as when they get bigger and run out of food, they aren't so nice anymore!

Back