GFCI Outlet Question

Dumb question incoming. If I have a GFCI outlet and I plug a very basic surge protector into it and then plug the Apex into that surge protector, am I still getting the benefits of the GFCI outlet?

Reason I ask is the outlet I need to use is super close to the back of my stand so I need to use one of those flat connectors to the wall. The Apex plugs are huge.

Dumb question incoming. If I have a GFCI outlet and I plug a very basic surge protector into it and then plug the Apex into that surge protector, am I still getting the benefits of the GFCI outlet?

Reason I ask is the outlet I need to use is super close to the back of my stand so I need to use one of those flat connectors to the wall. The Apex plugs are huge.

Yes. The ground is tied thought the GFCI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GFCI protects the cheap human..... Not the expensive tank.
Well put!

If you get a shock from a faulty pump, might think twice about no GFCI. Happened to me many years ago when I put my hand in the sump. Could feel the sensation in my arm for days after.

Well put!

If you get a shock from a faulty pump, might think twice about no GFCI. Happened to me many years ago when I put my hand in the sump. Could feel the sensation in my arm for days after.

I always touch the water when I feed. . I've had faulty heaters and returns. Won't lie, when I feel the first shock it takes me another 5 seconds to prepare for the next shock. Its a scary feeling but nothing deadly IME. Nothing dies with stray voltage, things die when there is no power though..

I have worked on 4000vac system and I work on 480 system up to 8000 amps daily. That is a 13foot tall electric motor
a48f142e72cbc18cabd03e1e6d5e1d46.jpg

The second worst electrocution I got was working on my fish tank. 110 kills more electricians than 480... I highly advise a grounding prob for $10. When the water has a charge it will take the shortest path (the probe). This doesn't "œfix" the problem but it will hide small ones and trip your breaker for big ones(ones that CAN kill you).

According to residential code and UL; GFCI is correct way that should be followed around bodies of water. Having said that I have two circuit one is GFCI protected and one that isn't because I don't want the WHOLE system to go down if one little thing happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I actually have three circuits. Two are on GFCI and one not. In case one trips, the other half is still running. On the non-GFCI are the devices that are not connected to water, the MP40 (to keep flow going) and the DC backup power to my APEX brain.

Back