Gfci

Indermark

I didn't know where to post this. I am thinking about installing a GFCI plug outlet but I googled GFCI today and read somewhere that its not good for aquarium lights, because it can trip it. It is also recommended not to be used on products that run for long periods of time. For example, a refridgerator. When I worked for petsmart they had a GFCI running their pumps and pretty much everything around that was around water. I am just trying to protect myself. I have been shocked many times and I just don't want it to be when I have my hands in water.

Thanks,

Ryan

ALL electrical appliances used near water should be ground fault protected (that's your protection, not the electrical devices). I don't buy the reasoning not to use it on a lighting fixture. If the gfci trips off the lights you only have the equilavent of one more on/off cycle...what's the big deal? On the other hand, if the gfci is tripping regularly, you have an entirely different problem that needs prompt attention. Would you solve a problem with your oil pressure light coming on in the car by disconnecting the pressure sensor or by checking the oil level or pump?

You don't want a fridge on a gfci because the power can be off and you might not know it. This happened to me on a basement freezer one time and I lost a LOT of food.

that makes some sense. I am gonna look into installing it myself and have looked at some step by step tutorials. Doesn't look to difficult.

Most aquarium lights won't trip a GFCI anymore, at least, IME. A refrigerator, for various reasons, can trip one yet not have an actual fault.

I use GFCIs everywhere with tank equipment, but I distribute the load so that if one GFCI trips, the tank won't die. GFCIs do fail from time to time, and I don't want one bad piece of equipment to take down the tank.

I was thinking of running 2x GFCI something like:

1. sump heater, return pump,1 stream, 1 MH

2. display heater, 1 stream, 1 MH

So if either one trips there is still redundacy.

Back