GFO reactor and lighting ?'s

ScooterGuitar

Think I'm good, but reassurance always helps, so I appreciate your responses and thank you in advance:love2:
I just added a BRS GFO reactor...I have the pump next to my skimmer pump, the return line going right back to that area as well....
?...is this ok, meaning sorta recirculating a bit or would it be better suited to place the pump and/or return line to another section...or doesn't really matter? Besides actual limited space to put the pump and return is that my DT return pump is actually larger than it prolly should be in GPH, so my skimmer isn't getting full benefit likely.

I run T5 x6 bulbs...I just changed out one of the daylight bulbs for a Giesmann Actinic plus powerchrome bulb so now I am running only two dedicated daylight bulbs and four actnics...is this ok for coral growth? I actually run it with one of the stock actinics for my dawn/dusk lighting. SHould I change it to the daylight cycle or should I be running 3 act and 3day?

Thank you again!

TeePee

Regarding your GFO reactor, I just got one up and running last week. With respect to where to put the suction and discharge of the reactor, I faced the same dilemma your discussing. I ended up putting the pump in the area of my sump where my skimmer discharges and then the discharge of the reactor in the next compartment down, right before the suction of the return pump back to the display. My thinking was that I didn't want to recirc water through the reactor, although how much of that there would have been actually occuring, I have no idea. Just one reefer's experience!

Chris27

If your sump has a ridiculous amount of water running through it at all times, I wouldn't worry too much about recirculating the same water over and over.

Ideally, it's a good idea to place the supply pump near the skimmer output, and the output of the reactor near the return pump, but if you set up the reactor to run about 100 Gal / Hr through it, that is nothing compared to a return pump pulling 600 Gal/Hr through the sump.

tens8273

I have done the same where my skimmer overflow gets sucked into the GFO pump. The GFO return is redirected next to the display return pump.

ScooterGuitar

Ok thanks for the replies. I figured there isn no "right" way to run things. I'm going to try and rethink some things, might have it return into my fuge since there is supe rlow movement in there, but the phosphate are good for it. Ugh