GFO vs. Bio Pellets vs. Carbon -- How to Utilize My Phosban Reactor?

SkullV

They Got My Number
Just wondering what you guys think is the best way to utilize my phosban reactor is. I only have space for the one reactor under the stand so I would obviously like to make the best of it. Currently the system has:

• 2x24g NanoCubes plumbed to 20g sump (~60g volume)
  • Bubble Magus NAC6 Skimmer
  • 50lbs live rock
  • Fuge with 6lbs Live Rock Rubble and Cheato
  • TLF Phsoban Reactor 150 with Premium Aquatics GFO

Just considering changing up the GFO for something else, but I'm not sure why (always looking for the next new thing I guess). The system looks great right now, very very minimal diatom algae every once in a while and that's about it. SPS/LPS/Softies thriving.

You could run a mixture of GFO and carbon. That's what I did. If the system doesn't need the GFO, you could skip that for the time being, but many people run it regularly as a kind of safety net. I did that for years.

You could run a mixture of GFO and carbon. That's what I did. If the system doesn't need the GFO, you could skip that for the time being, but many people run it regularly as a kind of safety net. I did that for years.

I thought about that, but wouldn't the carbon need to be changed way more often then the GFO? In a BRS reactor or something like that it wouldn't be a huge issue, but changing media in this TLF reactor is a huge pain!

They both need to be changed at least once a month or so to be effective, since they get coated with bacteria. I just pitched them at the same time. A tank that has a significant phosphate problem might require more frequent GFO changes, though.

They both need to be changed at least once a month or so to be effective, since they get coated with bacteria. I just pitched them at the same time. A tank that has a significant phosphate problem might require more frequent GFO changes, though.

Good to know! I thought GFO was more in the 3 month life range, but if it's only 1 month I'll just use less in the reactor (along with adding carbon) and change it more often.

I agree. You haver to judge when to change by measurement, how the tank appears, or by guessing. I generally go by tank appearance (algae growth rate on the glass, for example).

Just a question but how much do you use in a reactor like this? How much carbon and how much GFO at a time? I'm getting a BRS reactor and was just curious. Thanks

I measured 5" of dry media height for this reactor. Most of the reactors will tell you how much to use in them.

Back