GHA out of control

naz42

I have a very bad GHA out break in my tank. Everything is covered. I have lawnmower blenny and turbos but have made no impact. Nitrates are 0 and phosphate is .25. I've been vodka dosing for a few weeks and I'm up to 3mls but phosphate has not moved at all. T5 lights on 110 gallon tank with ASM G3+ skimmer

I wished I knew earlier I had a beast sea hare that I sold to Bob in the club. Got rid of whole tank filled with GHA. I also dosed no pox by red sea. Also overskimmed. Acclimated about 5 mollies as well and they ate GHA. Another that works is brightwell xport po4 remover in a reactor. I also did 3 days black out every week.

Gha

Gha

Gotta get Phosphate under control, Turn your lights off, there are dark days on the Reef. Vodka eh, Can work if done properly. Gotta try and export the HA, pull it off, scrub the rocks etc, water changes GFO and Carbon. Sorry but there isn't a quick cure.

Carbon dosing wipes out No3 too fast compared to Po4. GFO and a good RODI unit are your friends. I carbon dose 10ml a day (nopox), run GFO, Carbon, Bio Pellets and a crazy fuge. Strip the water! JMO

PS. I run allot of fish and inverts plus a ton of Acro's!

I have a very bad GHA out break in my tank. Everything is covered. I have lawnmower blenny and turbos but have made no impact. Nitrates are 0 and phosphate is .25. I've been vodka dosing for a few weeks and I'm up to 3mls but phosphate has not moved at all. T5 lights on 110 gallon tank with ASM G3+ skimmer

Nitrate and Phosphate are low because the GHA is consuming them. Shorter light cycles, run carbon, keep the vodka going and get your magnesium to 1300 to 1400. If all else fails, try Continum, worked good for me.

Carbon dosing wipes out No3 too fast compared to Po4. GFO and a good RODI unit are your friends. I carbon dose 10ml a day (nopox), run GFO, Carbon, Bio Pellets and a crazy fuge. Strip the water! JMO

+1 GFO and good rodi.

I have a beasty sea hare that is in need of a new home. Ill put 10 dollars as a price just pm and we can discuss

+1

yeah what tweeked said, Carbon dosing brings down your phosphate and nitrates very quickly, the trick is to bring them down together if you bottom out your nitrates it will be extremely hard to bring the remainder of your phosphates down. a nitrogen source such as amino acid to slightly rise your nitrates should do the trick. bring them up a little and the phosphates should fall. also, what test kits are you using. on top of that, like everyone else said.Carbon GFO, Rodi.turbos & blennies are for routine cleanup not to solve a problem. its not going to go away overnight...

I've seen this a million times. it's called the Redfield ratio. You need to slightly elevate your nitrates. If you don't want to believe me read the huge thread in advanced topics. I've done this several times before and it works great.

I've seen this a million times. it's called the Redfield ratio. You need to slightly elevate your nitrates. If you don't want to believe me read the huge thread in advanced topics. I've done this several times before and it works great.

How do you raise nitrates without raising po4? The Gha has been growing for a while. Even for the 2 months that i had no fish in there due to an iCh outbreak. That hole time there was no feeding, no nutriants added and a oversized skimmer running the whole time and doing water changes.

Takes time and I'm guessing its leaching from the rocks and sand bed if you have one. GFO for the win with manual removal of the algae. Also blast rocks prior to water changes.

How do you raise nitrates without raising po4? The Gha has been growing for a while. Even for the 2 months that i had no fish in there due to an iCh outbreak. That hole time there was no feeding, no nutriants added and a oversized skimmer running the whole time and doing water changes.

Exactly, no feeding = no waste = no nitrate. Think of them as opposites on a chemistry scale. I know it sounds crazy but feed more, and some waste, and the gfo will do its thing. your only trying to raise them slightly, Mine in my tank are 5ppm. That little bump won't have any negative effect on your already high po4. It'll actully bring them down

Last edited:
Back