Ghost feed?

intyme

50%-50% live rock and dead rock. Do I need to ghost feed? When would I start and why? Since I put in LR won't I get a cycle that way?

What are you trying to do, start a new aquarium? Cycle the tank? I'm not sure I understand what you are asking.

I just started a 40g and put all live rock in it but everything was still reading 0 so I started ghost feeding to get my tank cycling. You need to cycle your tank to build up your biological filter. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/article.cfm?aid=2303
In simple terms The food will cause your ammonia to spike which in turn will make your nitrites go up and then turn to nitrates.

Yes I'm am starting a new tank, sorry didn't explain. I put in half and half LR and dead rock. Wondering if I should ghost feed or just let it go

I would just let it go. There will probably be some die off from the live rock, which will serve the same purpose as ghost feeding IMO.

I let mine go for @ 2 weeks and nothing was happening. Then I started to ghost feed and within a few days the cycle started.

Ok, great. I have the patience of a 2 year old lol. I'll just play it out and see what happens

Back