Giesemann DE 14.5k Megachrome coral

gricks

I am switching to Giesemann Megachrome coral bulbs today, would like to know from the people using these if you are happy witht them. I am switching from Hamilton 14k, I am sure they should outperform my old bulbs.

Not sure if they would out perform, they do cost more though.
I like the hammy 14k

they have more PAR and will be brighter and more white....i've never used them, but have seen them on friends sps tanks and they are very nice...

sanjay got data on it?
As far as I know the phoenix had most par at 14K, and the hammy is pretty darn close

I just did this switch and to me it is much more visually appealing. I had the phoenix and was not too fond of the overly blue. The giesemann is pretty much a pure white. I can not really see any blue other than the blue that reflects off the reflector and glass shield. Not sure on growth on PAR but it looks much more natural to me. Just my .02

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8945839#post8945839 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Ti
sanjay got data on it?
As far as I know the phoenix had most par at 14K, and the hammy is pretty darn close

yup...it's mislabled though(and as said above is much more a 'pure' white bulb as opposed to the blue 14k's)

yup...it's mislabled though(and as said above is much more a 'pure' white bulb as opposed to the blue 14k's)
just checked sanjays site, he has a megachrome 13K, and if it is, the Hamilton beats it on E ballast.
Hamilton is pretty crisp white.

Well i was actually thinking DE for Gmann, and the coral bulb in particular.

But....either DE bulb on an icecap(even though they are best on an HQI) -or- the SE 'marine' bulb will be higher in PAR than the Hammy 14K on Icecap as well(it is definitely blue - imo)

I ran single ended 14k and then i'm running the giessmann now i would say white and for the price i dunno if any difference i.m now switching to the pheonix de 14 k. I would rather a little blue instead of this. I ran for a year and for growth no real big enhancement. I find everything is white looking even the rock. The blue in the bulbs will inhance color to corals and rock. just my .02

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8947471#post8947471 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by E-A-G-L-E-S
Well i was actually thinking DE for Gmann, and the coral bulb in particular.

But....either DE bulb on an icecap(even though they are best on an HQI) -or- the SE 'marine' bulb will be higher in PAR than the Hammy 14K on Icecap as well(it is definitely blue - imo)
Sanjays data:
Megachrome 63ppfd
Hamilton 14K 69 ppfd
Phoenix 14K 73 PPFD

All on Ice Cap E Ballast.
According to his data, Hamilton wins on par.

Well the SE Gmann Marine is 95 -and- the DE Gmann Coral(which is a great bulb) 88...the DE is meant to be run on HQI ballast

According to your data the Phoenix wins...
It sure does phoenix is the 14k bulb of choice for that reason, but the hamilton is showing higher than the Giessman according to Sanjay.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8950117#post8950117 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by E-A-G-L-E-S
Well the SE Gmann Marine is 95 -and- the DE Gmann Coral(which is a great bulb) 88...the DE is meant to be run on HQI ballast

Under HQI ballast the numbers definitely go up, but for all bulbs too.

According to Sanjay on HQI.

Megachrome : 87PPFD
Hamilton 14K: 99PPFD
Phoenix 14K: 88 PPFD

On the site the Giesemann DE Coral has a PPFD of 126, and the Phoenix only has a PPFD of 109 running them of a PFO (M80)HQI ballast. I am going to stick with Giesemann bulbs because my LFS has put them on there display tank and the changes in the last 3 weeks were awesome. Also i put one light on last night beside one of my hamiltons and the Giesemann really showed the colors better on my coral, the hamilton was just not as pleasing after a side by side comparison, not to mention the Giesemann having 12,500 lumens, and i was not happy with the growth i was getting, or should i say not getting from the hamiltons.

Just checked again.
With no Shield on M80 I'm getting these numbers

Phoenix 14K: 109ppfd
Giessman Coral: 101ppfd

The numbers I got previously were all Shielded.
Phoenix is supposed to be top dog on Par for 14K.
Happy the bulb is working out for you though.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8953921#post8953921 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Ti
It sure does phoenix is the 14k bulb of choice for that reason, but the hamilton is showing higher than the Giessman according to Sanjay.

Under HQI ballast the numbers definitely go up, but for all bulbs too.

According to Sanjay on HQI.

Megachrome : 87PPFD
Hamilton 14K: 99PPFD
Phoenix 14K: 88 PPFD

You are only using the 'Lowest PAR Gmann' in your #'s though....there are multiple DE lamps and a SE lamp.....all but one are much higher in PAR than the Hammy 14K

And the 14.5K is the Coral not the Megachrome(They are mislabled on site 'and' the 'Coral' bulb has much more PAR than the Megachrome 13K

Also: Hamilton 14K 250W SE
on m-58 -- Only 53 PPFD

None of this really matters as to me in person the Hamilton is blue and a little dim and the Gmann 14.5 Coral DE's are white and brighter(Coral bulb is a unbelievable DE lamp)....the SE's on m-58's are brighter as well with nearly double the PAR of a hammy 14K)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8956909#post8956909 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by E-A-G-L-E-S
Shielded #'s -- on M-80's(Because no one runs DE lamps unshielded)

Phoenix 14K -- 88
Gmann 14.5K Coral -- 126

;)

Holly crap!!!! I've been wanting to try the 14.5 Geisemann bulbs.. I've heard nothing but good things about them! :) :cool:

Back