Giesemann infiniti vs spectra (spread and spill)

sayn3ver

For a 24x24x24 mixed cube in a living space where light spill is a consideration, how do these compare in spread and spill?

I know the single ended Spectra had a larger reflector for better coverage. The single ended also offers the ability to use radium 20k lamps.

However I am concerned the larger reflector with better spread would spill much much more.

If I was single and or had a dedicated room for the tank then I'd go for the Spectra for bulb selection and coverage.

Would the Infiniti light the tank well enough at like 6inches above? Probably will be trying a 14.5k or 17.5k megachrome or a phoenix if I went double ended.

Yeah I know there were some members here who have owned both. I'm not sure if reefcentral is still the top forum or if many have migrated elsewhere.

I’ve owned both in the 48” version but mine wasn’t in a living space so I can’t remember if the light spill was bad. I had mine on a 48x24x20 rimless SPS tank and it was more than enough to grow whatever I put in it.

I've had an infinity over a 36" tank and it covers pretty well. Thinking over 24" tank there'd be some light spill from the light, but nothing too bad. The Spectra might be more with the larger single ended bulb, though.

If you're not needing the t5 supplemental then something like Hamilton Bimini would be nice. I've used one over the 40 breeder and while its not end to end coverage on that size it would be good over a 20-24" tank.

Back