GIRS 2007 Calendar of Events

glaspie69

Premium Member
As promised, this will be our 2007 Calendar of Events

March 17th Saturday â€"œ GIRS DIY Meeting (pending IC)

April 14th Saturday â€"œ GIRS Frag Auction.....Waterloo

May 20th Sunday - Mitch Carl 1:00 Altoona Library

June 2nd â€"œ Local Meetings

July 21st â€"œ Live Aquaria Tour

August â€"œ Bruce Carlson, Iowa City (location pending) This will most likely be a Saturday meeting but I will have to get more info from Bruce before I will know for sure. He will be discussing his involvment in setting up th Georgia Aquarium.

September - Local BBQ's/ Tank Tours

October â€"œ GIRS Frag Auction.....Quad Cities

October - Most likely a local event of some sort

November â€"œ GIRS Elections

December â€"œ GIRS BOD planning month

glaspie69

Premium Member
It's going to be a multiple DIY deal, maxi-mods, acrylic tank veiwers, small things for now, hopfully if attendance is good we might have another larger DIY meeting.

acidlittle

Dang that's the one I wanted to go to also, but it is my BDAY March 17th so I will be in Chicago watching the river turn green!

Hopefully we can have a "larger DIY meeting" at a later date! That would be awesome!

Atticus

Sweet, glad to see it finished!!!

I too will have to miss the March meeting as it is my Daughter's seconded B-Day, but can't wait to attend as many of the others as I can.

glaspie69

Premium Member
Well we were going to hold one in Des Moines, it was discussed and decided that many of the members had voiced concerns that the club events weren't as wide spread as they could be. This was the reason for the new changes, we tried to have a main event in every area. As for the auctions being in a central location, anywhere we have it someone is going to get the short stick, it just happens, we do the best we can and hope for good turn outs. Jason

musty baby

It's obviously going to be hard to please everyone when the club's membership covers such a wide area. Of course, this time I did not get the short stick :)

Thanks Jason

got2lb

We are going to go to liveaquaria.com coral propagation facility in Rhinelander WI and take a tour of it. And hopefully bring home some suveniors!

whome

Just noticed their big frag swap/conference the weekend of June 30. Is there a reason why we aren't going enmass then?

xroads

we wont be so rushed, get more attention, and have more time to see what we want. (I think)

got2lb

We actually have a personal invitation to go then as well. And I encourage everyone to attend that can make it. But as Craig said this way we can have our own personal tour of the facility. They will also be providing lunch for everyone that attends. All this at no cost to the club! Of course I'm sure they'll still end up with some of my cash! ;)

As for getting up there. I guess that's up to everyone on how they want to do it. Right now the tour is scheduled for 12:30 that way the people that want to drive up there that day won't have to leave at 3:00 in the morning. I'm personally planning on making a long weekend out of it and pulling the camper up there and checking out the sites and relaxing. Anyone that wants to camp with us is more than welcome!

whome

Wow, 8 hr drive from here. Drive up would not be bad just early, but not sure I would want to do it again the same day. Guess it will be camping or hotel. Where do you camp? Wisconsin Dells is 1/2 way there for me. hummm.... Guess maybe I could make a family trip out of it and take the kids. Leave them with dad for the day while I make the trip up to meet you all.

got2lb

Not really sure where to camp. Never been up there. Figured I'd just wing it and find a place! I'm sure the wife and kids will have fun wherever we end up.

jbrunken

The date for the Live Aquaria tour is set in stone right? My wife and I decided to make it into a long weekend and take the kids to the Dells, so they will live it up there while I head up to LiveAquaria.

We'd like to go ahead and make our reservations, but I need to know that the date is finalized.

It's 3 or 4 hours north of the Dell's right?

-JB

got2lb

Yes it is finalized and set in stone! It's in Rhinelander WI wherever that is from the Dells.