glass cages low iron glass vs starfire

Yes, but Starfire is a patented type (I believe), Saying that a glass is low iron just speaks to it's composition, not it's clarity and/or suitability for aquarium use.

There are 3 low iron types that I know of that are used for aquariums (most likely many more that I don't know of, but for now I go with what I know:)). Starfire, Diamente and GlassCages Low Iron (not even sure if this is a "type" and not jsut some generic low iron glass). I know that Diamente is supposed to be cleared than starfire, I am trying to find out how the GlassCages low iron glass compares with either Starfire and/or Diamente.

edit : Or I guess a better way to say/explain it is : Yes, All Starfire glass is low iron glass, but not all low iron glass is Starfire. :)

Tom,

Standard glass has the obvious dark green edge, which most glass tanks are made of. Low-iron glass has a clear, ice-blue edge. Starphire is the brandname of low-iron glass by PPG Industries, which is whats mostly used in the aquarium industry because its physical properties are still close to standard glass.

Diamante glass is the next step up, where the iron is completely removed, leaving a clear edge. Low-iron and Diamante glass are both considered optical-quality glass, but the absolute clarity of Diamante is useful for microscope slides, art and jewelry making. I believe Diamante glass is pretty brittle in comparison, which is likely why it's not used to make aquariums.

HTH

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7538413#post7538413 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Unarce
Tom,

Standard glass has the obvious dark green edge, which most glass tanks are made of. Low-iron glass has a clear, ice-blue edge. Starphire is the brandname of low-iron glass by PPG Industries, which is whats mostly used in the aquarium industry because its physical properties are still close to standard glass.

Diamante glass is the next step up, where the iron is completely removed, leaving a clear edge. Low-iron and Diamante glass are both considered optical-quality glass, but the absolute clarity of Diamante is useful for microscope slides, art and jewelry making. I believe Diamante glass is pretty brittle in comparison, which is likely why it's not used to make aquariums.

HTH

Karl,

Thanks for the lesson, I was not aware of several of those points and it helps out alot.

One thing though is that I know of at least 1 reefer with an aquarium that uses Diamante (thanks for correcting my earlier spelling error :)) for his tank front. Not saying that it is "right" or "safe", just that it is. He did build it himself though, so it is hard to say how "appropriate" it is, and I don't know enough to question his decision (he knows more than I do about such things :)).

As for StarFire being closer to standard glass specs than other low-iron glass and being better suited for aquariums, I would sincerely hope that GlassCages would only use "appropriate" glass for their aquariums :).

Where did you get your tank from Karl ? Does it use low-iron glass of any kind ? Thanks again for chiming in :D

No problem, Tom!

Mine's a LeeMar with Starphire on all 4 viewing sides. The bottom and eurobrace are made of standard glass. At 1/2" thickness, the difference in clarity between the two is pretty huge.

I suppose if you needed 1" thickness or more, than Diamante glass would be pretty cool.

I would just call glasscages to confirm what they'll be using.

I have read a couple of threads recently where they used Diamante also. I guess it is just about $$, how much you have and how much you are willing to spend :)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7548384#post7548384 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Sparkss
I have read a couple of threads recently where they used Diamante also. I guess it is just about $$, how much you have and how much you are willing to spend :)
Oceanic will custom build Diamante tanks. There is a size limit because the structural strength of the glass is reduced as the iron is removed.

Ditto... thx :). Right now I am up it the air about building our own or ordering one.. Just can't decide if the money saved is worth the time spent... not alot of free time these days. :(

I had heard that also, but at the same time I came acorss a couple of thread for larger tanks with thicker (non-laminated) starfire, but then again they paid top dolloar for these sheets of glass :). I also saw a very recent quote from Miracles in Glass that quoted 3/4" starfire (with nothing about it being laminated) so maybe they are not offerring Starfire in the larger thicknesses ?

Either way I won't be needing beyond 1/2" for the tank we are planning (whether custom built, or DIY), based on our viewing pane dimensions :)

Back