Glass death box

ssavader

I have been working on a 232 g reef tank for 18 months and finally was ready to add the livestock from my old 125g after all the appropriate cycling etc. This occurred 4 weeks ago. To date, 2/3 of my coral are not open, and 3 successive fish have died. The last 2 died within 12 hours of going into the tank after a 2 hr acclimation (neither showed any stress).

I have a stray voltage probe and use B-ionic sea water mix using R/O from my system. My tank water is ever so slightly cloudy, but enough for my wife to notice. I have 5 Radion lights that are on 10 hrs a day at 50% intensity. Water flow is via 2 Vectra pumps and 2 WAV pumps.

Parameters:
Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate- 0
Ca++ 509 (working to reduce to 425)
Mg++ 1125 (working to increase to 1325)
Alk- 10.2
pH- 8.4
s.g.- 1.020
I- > .1 (I have stopped dosing)

I'm at a total loss as to where to go next. I have ordered a sea water test kit from ICP to get a full analysis of my water chemistry, but I am really devastated by the situation. I'm accepting any and all advice or thoughts!

Iodine could be the problem. When in doubt, do a large water change. Brand new tanks are a tough place for corals. You're still chasing parameter numbers. Stability comes with maturity. Lingering cloudiness is also a concern. Charcoal could help.

I doubt .1 iodide would be toxic at this value, I hit that number many times.
Did you dose iodine or iodide?

For I dosing, I use AquaVitro Vibrance, which is stabilized potassium iodide. Any thoughts on why my fish are dying?

Back