Glass-holes 700gph kit

sheppard

Hi all, im starting to gather equipment for my 40breeder. I plan on ordering the 700gph overflow kit from glass-holes because i've heard good things.

It has a 1.5" bulkhead so my question is, do I use 1.5" PVC the entire way to the sump? Or is it better to reduce it to 1" going into the sump?

My return will be a Mag 500
Thanks

My return pump is 700gph and i get away with two 1" drain lines. One keeps up, one for backup. The only thing i worry about is a snail getting wedged in the lines. Was debating on redoing it eventually.

Thanks for the reply's fellas. I guess I can go either way, 1.5" all the way might be easier though.

I'm looking for some kind of screening to put over the overflow box to eliminate any chance of a curious snail getting in the drain.

Noobish question..the hole with the airline coming out of the elbow attatched to the bulkhead is so air can be forced out of the drain, correct? (if there is a power failure)

Where does the other end of that airline go?

Thanks

With glass holes kits they recommend using the same diameter the whole way. So with a 700 1.5" right the way down. The kits usually come with enkhmat to cover the box, or you could order their acrylic top

The glass holes kits come with a screen to prevent critters from getting in.

Reducing the pipe could potentially reduce the drains flow rate, I would stay with 1.5 all the way down to the sump.

The airline in the elbow is adjusted to vent air from cavitating in the drain, preventing it from being noisy.

The glass holes kits come with a screen to prevent critters from getting in.

Reducing the pipe could potentially reduce the drains flow rate, I would stay with 1.5 all the way down to the sump.

The airline in the elbow is adjusted to vent air from cavitating in the drain, preventing it from being noisy.

When you say the airline is adjusted, do you mean its adjusted up and down? Or does the hole diameter need to be adjusted by using Increasing sized drill bits?

The airline is adjusted by pushing it into or pulling it out of that hole. If it isnt set right you get that gurgling sound. I have the nano overflow on my 40 and love it.

the phone in my hands

I have the 700 on a 40 breeder and it is loud on full tilt so I had to tone down the return pump - Quiet One 3000 - with a valve to quiet the overflow down. I ordered the lid for $10 extra for piece of mind. What is $10 compared to something clogging it up and leaking all over the floor. Also mine came with that enkamet mesh - highly recommended to keep it quieter.

Back