Glass holes overflow or buy reef ready tank?

Bugsy_Barboza

So which option is the most efficient/safest way? I have a 75gal tank I was gonna drill but tempted to just buy a reef ready 75gal.... If I still myself, was gonna do the 1500 glass holes over flow in the center of the back wall with returns on each end of the back wall of the tank. But if I buy id be buying a matineland reef ready 75 gallon tank. Which would be my best option? Which would have more flow?

As far as I know the reef-ready tanks have small diameter holes and usually only 2 or 3. Probably a lot better flow if you drill your own, 1.5" pipe will flow a lot more water.

So which option is the most efficient/safest way? I have a 75gal tank I was gonna drill but tempted to just buy a reef ready 75gal.... If I still myself, was gonna do the 1500 glass holes over flow in the center of the back wall with returns on each end of the back wall of the tank. But if I buy id be buying a matineland reef ready 75 gallon tank. Which would be my best option? Which would have more flow?

1500 holes huh?

Dude drill it, you have more options and can build in back ups. 4 holes = 2 returns + 1 drain + 1 emergency drain. Get a coast to coast overflow for the drain lines. This is nice because you won't have the big dumb ones like our reef ready tanks that go to the bottom of the tank. Build you bean animal drain. Put a valve on the main drain to hold the water level and you're done...

I'll never buy a reef ready tank again...looks way better without the big overflow. Look at reef savvy ghost overflow for an example.

Got a trigger 36 sump and mag 18. But yeah I was just thinking I'll get more flow out of a glass holes overflow than matineland rr tank

Glass holes worked great on my 40 b. It was the first time I ever drilled glass and I have to admit it was as easy as cutting a piece of wood with a hole cutter. The instructions were super easy and the build quality was awesome. No leaks on either..

Go to the LFS and closely inspect the overflow boxes on a 75 RR or 90 RR. You'll see the average RR brand is supplied with an overflow box that has poor surface skimming, and questionable flow ratings.

None the less a beautiful tank can be achieved either way, RR or drilled w/ custom box.

Reef Ready tanks are also far more expensive than standard tanks. For 20 minutes of your time, you can drill the tank, and have more options and better flow.

Case in point: My 120 XH was $267 at That Pet Place. The Reef Ready version was $587

I want to do herbie style and hopefully I can use elbows inside the overflow to make one the main and the other emergency. Hopefully I'll have enough room in there to use elbows.

Be careful with there drilling patterns, if you want to build a beam animal type system you need to offset the holes. Looks like their kits have two holes o the same level.

Not true. All my holes for the bean are identical level, and it works wonderfully.

Back