Glass-Holes! Wish me luck.

r1racer

Today I'm drilling the 1500 vertically. I just hope I don't screw this up...any final advice is welcome.

1F900C9C_zpsd6c4f68d.jpg

I just did this about 2 weeks ago on a 55 gallon frag tank with the exact same glass holes kit. It was very easy and simple. I drilled 3 holes (I had 1 return kit hole) in about 30 minutes for all 3. Just take it slow and run some water over the glass and you'll be fine. Please post the finished result =). I love seeing new tanks haha.

Slow RPM's and a lot of water/lubricant.............steady as she goes :)
Did 2 of these kits on my 150g, very scary drilling 4 holes on a brand new tank!
Oh, and double check to make sure it is not tempered.

I always tape the inside of the aquarium. It keeps the the slug from falling when you break through. Take some plumbers puddy and make a dam to hold some water. And most of all, go slow with the clutch on the drill set at its weakest setting. Do not force the drill what so ever, especially when breaking through.

I put the same overflow on my 120gal.
It's definitely nerve-wracking before you start, but once you begin there's nothing to it.
Keep it nice and slow. Let the hole saw and drill do their jobs.
Keep the saw cool with water throughout the drilling.
I put tape behind the hole also, but you will cut through it eventually.
I had placed towels down for the glass plugs to fall onto.
Once you've got the first hole done, you'll wonder why you were ever nervous it the first place.
Good luck!

its not that bad, just go slow and let gravity do the work. as said above use the plumbers putty to make a water damn. good luck

Unless you are using a drill press or guide, Use a cordless drill with the torque setting at a very low setting. This will keep the bit from cracking the glass when it gets bound up.

I just did this about 2 weeks ago on a 55 gallon frag tank with the exact same glass holes kit. It was very easy and simple. I drilled 3 holes (I had 1 return kit hole) in about 30 minutes for all 3. Just take it slow and run some water over the glass and you'll be fine. Please post the finished result =). I love seeing new tanks haha.

What is the name of this "glass holes kit." and where did you guys get it from?

Success...it was simple. The first took about 30 minutes and the second about 10. The trick (when doing vertically) is to apply a little pressure otherwise it will take forever. You should feel the grinding. When you get close to breaking through don't use any. I used a chorded drill and made sure the chuck tension allowed slipping. Also whatever you do don't drop the hole saw like I did. I spent 10 minutes beating it back in shape.

I mounted it up against the front of the tank so I didn't have to clean around it. l'm digging the slim profile. Going to get it all plumbed tomorrow.

2C745B36_zps90acdcaf.jpg

94DF6B76_zps167ad0e7.jpg

3D0B5C15_zpsef4e7ac8.jpg

CFBC0E1C_zpsac89dc89.jpg

8F0C7D7B_zpsb7f1a202.jpg

8EDC3641_zps3c36767b.jpg

D31765D4_zps8fc8c0bf.jpg

9F3DC815_zpsa6faa6e0.jpg

ADA3A8D4_zpsc6a2ee63.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats, job well done! See, wasn't that easy.....sigh.
Now when I drill glass I actually do it free hand (drill in 1 hand, squirt bottle in other).
Keep those pics coming :)

I used one of those on a 125 i eventually ended up selling...that kit is a little on the loud side, even with the enkamat in the box...Wont buy another shallow box like that ever again and Ill always use a herbie setup, dead silent and could be happier...Might be a heads up for something to watch for...Just my 2 cents

Wasn't concerned about noise since it's in wall and in a hallway. There are a couple YouTube videos and noise didnt seem to be an issue. Will post a video in a couple weeks for those interested in purchasing.

Nice job! My 3000 is dead quiet. My pumps are louder. Lol. I will say that I had to use Teflon paste over tape on the street elbows due to a slight leak when installing. Teflon paste is awesome and I'll never go back to tape again.

Back