Glass or acrylic?

Glass or acrylic?

• Custom scrylic

Votes: 9 22.5%
  • SCA Starfire

Votes: 31 77.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Had both, but glass is all I have used in several years. Seems like acrylic scratches if you stare at it too long.

You actually get desensitized to scratched acrylic, until you stare at it long enough and reality hits you and you see all the scratches.

sca 150 has euro brace right?
acrylic that size will likely have euro brace as well.

there are glass tanks that size that are rimless (I think elos and maybe red sea).
so you may want to consider those and see if the look of rimless appeals to you better.

I like the rimless look of my redsea 525. My only regret was not getting the 750. Almost all my gear would have supported that size.

Weight is my complaint with glass. I had a 300 glass, it took six strong men to move it six inches. One side of the end panel eventually popped out, fortunately all 300 gallons hit the concrete basement floor and went out an open door to the backyard. My roommate was home; he said the glass BOWED like rubber. Scared him so bad he went back upstairs.

Anything over 150, acrylic.

I installed a 150 glass for a customer, it took five strong men to put it in. But I once picked up one end of a 150 acrylic with one arm.

In this case I would vote acrylic only because the tank I see looks very close to a cracked tank I purchased from a fellow reefer for a $100 who did not trust it. It was a different brand. This tank was made in China and shipped to his home, and the warranty stunk. Once I got the tank I realized the crack was not on the outside but inside. It looked like the builder took a cracked pane of glass and instead of discarding it, they used it and sent it to him.

Nrupaw, do those bags work on coralline or just film algae? I watched the sales video and even though he had plenty of coralline algae on the acrylic with which to demonstrate, he avoided it. Made me think it wouldn't work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It does work on coralline. I just put my magnet the bag and run it over the coralline. Couple passes and it's gone. Same with the algae cutter pad.

Give it a shot. I think they are like $5-6 bucks.

The premise is very simple actually. Both products use a plastic that's softer that acrylic.that in turn doesn't scratch acrylic

If you do use it, let me know your experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For larger tanks I would agree acrylic is the way to go. I agree acrylic does get scratched easier, that's a given, but there are also lots of horror stories of glass tanks failing at the seams. That was enough reason for me to go acrylic. Just a few months ago one of my larger pieces of rock must have somehow shifted in my tank and fallen to the back wall. No idea how it happened but I was so glad my tank wasn't glass to crack. I also got little kids in the house where sometimes toys tend to fly around... sometimes big heavy ones lol.
You just have to be careful on how you clean the acrylic and you will be good to go. Someone else also mentioned mighty magnets. It's by far the best investment I have made and worth every penny. Use their algae scraper pads with it and it will cut through the most stubborn algae within 2-3 passes with no harm to the acrylic.

Just wait until you try to clean some stubborn calcified green algae off the acrylic. That stuff only comes off with a rasor blade.

I've been keeping reef tanks since about 1988. Up until last Fall, I'd never had an acrylic tank. All glass, all the time - from 10 gallons all the way up to 265. OK, I did have a plywood tank once ...... once! Last Fall I went acrylic for my current 450/400. So far, I've no reason to regret it, and plenty to be happy with. Of course acrylic scratches more easily, so you have to be smart about it. Don't let calcified algae build up, and buy a good quality magnet cleaner. If you cannot do either of these, get glass. Albano hinted at it earlier, but do your lighting to minimize the amount that falls on the front panels. I actually use blanking panels to shade the front of my tank. I'm not growing corals there after all. So cleaning is really a snap. 5 minutes a week with the MM. I also designed the stand with a raised front edge that prevents me from accidentally dipping the magnet cleaner into the sand. Every couple of months I remove it and get in there with the dozer pad.

The one thing I like particularly with acrylic that has not been mentioned is the the clean, clear corners. On a well made tank, they are pristine. A thick line of silicone was always an eyesore to me, and it's almost impossible to keep it coraline free or un-tattered.

I certainly cannot speak to the longevi of my tank, only having had it for 9 months. I had a 180 last me for almost 18 years, so that's a tough standard to meet. But, we shall see.

Back