Glass thickness and bracing question

robs.mark

Premium Member
Hello fellow reefers!

I'm just about to pull the pin on a new tank and my tank builder is nervous about some dimensions. I'm in Australia so please forgive the metic dimensions!

He is happy with following; (LWH) 1000mm x 700mm x 400mm - rimless made completely from 12mm glass.

He is nervous about the same dimensions except with a length of 1100mm. He want to run a 40 brace along the length (imagine eurobracing without the braces along the width). This causes a little dilemma.. the brace interferes with the overflow and I have large hands!

Can anyone with experience in similar dimension tanks input? What do you have, what have you seen, etc. I respect this guy and have used him for years - but he hasn't done a lot of shallow rimless builds.

I'm not a tank builder by any means, but I converted your measurements over to inches (so that my american brain could better see what you've got planned) and I come up with ~40x27x15 or 43x27x15 using ~1/2" glass. I wouldn't thick it would need any bracing at all either way.

I'm sure someone with more experience than me we chime in, especially if I'm wrong!

Back