Glass thickness for 60x 20 x 18h rimless?

mikevangels

Sorry if this has been asked and answered but I couldn't seem to find the answer.

For a 60x20x18 what is the minimum glass thickness to go rimless? I've heard 3/8 and 1/2.

On the same note, if I eurobraced what would the glass thickness need to be and how wide should the bracing strips be?

minimum thickness would be 9mm, but you would have to euro brace the bottom...and even then that would be a nervous fill for me..comfortable living would say go with 12mm, eurobracing the bottom is still a good idea though...

if you are going to euro brace the top i believe 6mm will work with 3" braces...9mm glass with a 2" euro would also work...

in either case (rimless or euro'd) i would still euro the bottom...

Thanks for the reply. Is there a chart or guide posted anywhere that people can plug in their dimensions and preferred style (rimless vs euro) and get the material thickness needed?

I think i've seen a link that recommended glass thicknesses with some sort of safety value associated with it but I don't think that was for rimless or euro styled tanks.

minimum thickness would be 9mm, but you would have to euro brace the bottom...and even then that would be a nervous fill for me..comfortable living would say go with 12mm, eurobracing the bottom is still a good idea though...

if you are going to euro brace the top i believe 6mm will work with 3" braces...9mm glass with a 2" euro would also work...

in either case (rimless or euro'd) i would still euro the bottom...

I guess a better question is: Where/how did you come by this info?

Thanks.

I guess a better question is: Where/how did you come by this info?

Thanks.

experience, and the math has been done multiple tanks

general rule though: ANY tank less then 24" water depth can safely be built rimless with 12mm glass and a eurobrace on the bottom, or 19mm bottom (weight and cost usually make it easier and cheaper to euro it though.)

Thanks for the reply. Is there a chart or guide posted anywhere that people can plug in their dimensions and preferred style (rimless vs euro) and get the material thickness needed?

I think i've seen a link that recommended glass thicknesses with some sort of safety value associated with it but I don't think that was for rimless or euro styled tanks.

yes there is a tank calculator out there on the WWW, but i recently formatted my PC and lost all my bookmarks.

i am sure if you google "rimless tank calculator" you can find it.

Back