glass top ON OR OFF?

bgkingd340

not having any temp issues but my glass canopy maybe due to all the trurbelance from the hydor and mj putr film on underside of surface glass .......just wondering see some lfs with out glass canopy and wondered what you guys thought or opinions on it good and bad

[/img]http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/165708full_shot_4month2.jpg[/img]

jumping in - when i have mine off, my cover for my light gets covered in saly splash so i have to clean it. i think the glass is easier to clean. what do you think?????????

not sure ,,,,,,havnt really heard any benifits to it yet ,,was wondering isnt a lot og gas exchange done in the process of water fallin in to wet dry

I would also like to know what everyone thinks about this???? my T5HO bulbs get salt on them which obvioulsy blocks some light. SO I need to remove the hood then the light fixture to clean it. If I added a simple piece of glass under the light wouldn't that help so all I need to do is take out glass and clean it then replace. Th back half of the tank would still be open so gas exchange would be fine. And how much light will the glass actually take away from my tank???

sorry to steal the thread

glass tops are to be avoided with a reef tank. If saltcreep/spray on the lights is a problem, install a glass cover over your lights instead (which they should have as a general safety precaution, anyway).

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12219876#post12219876 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jmmbones
Just wondering...with out the glass top, does evaporation occur at a faster rate??

hell yesssss, I'm adding about 2 gallons a day to my 90 gallon

Well, I am upgrading my RedSea Max to some HQI lighting and have to take my original hood off. Do you think I should have a custom peice of glass made to cover my tank??

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12219876#post12219876 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jmmbones
Just wondering...with out the glass top, does evaporation occur at a faster rate??

I am adding 1 gallon a day to my 55. Since i removed the top.

well my light has a plexi cover not glass. how is the egg crate going to stop the salt spray from covering it? what would be the problem with putting the larger piece of glass from the glass lid to stop the spray just under the light? the front and the back are still open.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12219873#post12219873 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by seapug
glass tops are to be avoided with a reef tank. If saltcreep/spray on the lights is a problem, install a glass cover over your lights instead (which they should have as a general safety precaution, anyway).

but i am still trying to understand the problem with them and if you are using mh with glass over them should u just remove the glass canopy and why,,,,,,,dont you get enough air exchange from the water falling into sump?,,also the bird block that was refeered is the only point of that to keep the fish from escaping the tank ?:confused:

I have a glass top on my 46g bow. I always thought there was enough gas exchange from the trickle from the overflow in the sump and the HOB refugium I have. Please correct if I'm wrong. I didn't put a glass canopy to prevent salt creep on my lighting, it was more for the jumping fish I have in my tank.

Also, I don't have a problem with a lot of salt creep on my glass top. The condensation takes care of most of it, and I just have to wipe down once a week or once every two weeks when I do my water change. My salt creep is pretty minimal.

I was wondering this also, but from the point of how much light is blocked by glass top. My buddy and I tried a little experiment, we both kept track of avg. daily top offs. We both found that no top meant 50 - 75% more water evap on a daily basis.

Back