Gluing Aquarium - Acrylic to Glass Help!

steve007

I am building an aquarium that requires a acrylic bottom (inside corner cuts can’t be done in glass) but has glass sides, so I need to find a way to seal the acrylic to the glass but I am not sure if an aquarium silicone is going to bond to both materials and work well enough under pressure? I have phoned around and it seems that no one really knows?

Phoning around I have only got these to responses:

1) Titan Bond plus Pro may work, but some say it won't work at all under pressure and may even change the acrylic's shape when bonding thus causing gaps.

2) Use GE Contractors Silicone SCS 1200 for inside tank acrylic boxes, but not sure if its going to work for exterior edges?

I would really appreciate anyone's help!
What is really going to work???!

Best,
Steve

Typically, Special UV cured adhesives are required. A.G.E. bulds tanks with PVC bottons, Starphire sides, and Acrylic eurobracing...they prob won't tell you how they do it, but you could price a custom tank through them.

Another option is doing a plywood tank with glass viewing panels.

The tank is quite unique. The acrylic bottom is only 18"x18" shaped like a Tetris game piece but the tank is 60" tall made out of glass. Its more of an architecture piece I'm building. So am really trying to find the best long-lasting solution.

Best,
Steve

FWIW, glass can have inside corners....they just have to be made by diamond tooling, not just a score and break.

I'm assuming you understand that the glass for a 60" tall tank will have to be REALLY thick...like 1" minimum.

The glass is 10mm thick which I am told will be enough since the pieces are tall and skinny the pressure against the glass will be much less than a wide and deep piece (surface area is much less). Also the volume of water is only about 50 Gallons.

I was told that an inside corner couldn't be done and I would be left with an 5mm inside round corner. I will talk to another glass work shop to see about this diamond tooling! Thanks!

Best,
Steve

You can't glue Glass to Acrylic very well at all.. The tanks JCTewks are talking about with a PVC bottem. Have a very thick bottem and its routed out for the glass to set down into it.. So the bond doesn't really hold any weight it just acts as a gasket. This question as been asked 1000 times.. In the End it always comes down to there isn't any great way to glue Glass to Acrylic.

Back