Going to Fiji - Breeding T. derasa

Sloeber

Many around here probably don't know me, but that's ok. For you old timers out there....

I'm leaving the Caribbean in 2 weeks. I was just hired to run the dive operations for a resort in Fiji. Exciting on it's own, but....

As part of the existing staff there is a marine biologist that is working on captive breeding (open system) of T. derasa and T. gigas, and then reintroducing them to the south islands of Fijian natural reefs. A portion of my job will be assisting in this endeavor.

Yeah, I'll share photos :)

I'll be back in the 'Paign around August 18-21 for anyone that wants to catch a pint at the tavern. PM me...

that's exciting. I think that'd be fun to help propagate reef species! Oh .... To live in Fiji and dive for a living: must be rough...

That's one of my favorite things to do... diving. A whole different world down there. That's where God got really creative... Congrats on the job!

Good to hear all is going well. Sounds very exciting I'll be looking forward to photos.
p.s. didnt get to any reefs while down in Miami still had a great time on the shoreline.

Glad to hear things are falling in place and that the chance you took is paying off in a fulfilling life. Keep us posted because some of us are living through you and your updates.

That's nothing! I got to walk the shoreline of lake Decatur just this past week! Oh, wait.... nevermind! Fiji would be just a tad better. LOL

Good luck with the new endeavor! Sounds awesome!

Slowly getting settled into my new work position and finally got to take my camera underwater for the first time in 5 weeks of living in Fiji. Figured some of you may have interest in following the blog and photos.

I should begin setting up our coral farms in the next month or so and naturally I'll be putting photos of its ongoing progress onto my blog. I've also requested and have been granted permission to join Walt Smith on his coral farms for some volunteer/self-research. I expect that to happen perhaps as soon as the end of September, but more likely in mid-October. I may delay our farm project until I can join Walt and get a better grasp on the do/don't associated with wild coral farms.

The latest blog, which has photos from today's dive, can be found at http://www.saltyendeavors.com/?p=1175

Or if you are on Facebook you can "like" my page and be kept up to date of new blog entries and other various happenings in the scuba/coral farming life of mine. www.facebook.com/saltyendeavors

No I do not get ESPN (no television or cable). I can watch them online, however, and ESPN does offer a live feed on one of their websites. The larger problem is the time difference (I finally saw the Temple game on Wednesday via youtube). The home games are streamed live on nbcsports.com, too. Plus the bandwidth it eats up. I pay $100FJD (About $52USD) for 20 gigs of data. ND games, Skype mom, daily Facebook and weather reports, uploading images for blogs, download a new album... 20 gigs doesn't last long.

Oh, and Muck Fichigan.

Back