Going to the Keyes for the 3rd time.

55semireef

Moved On
I really regret having gone to the Keyes twice without knowing anything about saltwater. But after that second time, I get into the hobby. Thats like the worst timing.

But now I am going again this summer. :D
So is there anyone out there that is really familiar and can tell me what cool things are there. Has anyone ever seen Florida Green Recordia there? I know its illegal but still people do it.

what about shrimp and all that too?

Re: Going to the Keyes for the 3rd time.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7553137#post7553137 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 55semireef
I really regret having gone to the Keyes twice without knowing anything about saltwater. But after that second time, I get into the hobby. Thats like the worst timing.

But now I am going again this summer. :D
So is there anyone out there that is really familiar and can tell me what cool things are there. Has anyone ever seen Florida Green Recordia there? I know its illegal but still people do it.

what about shrimp and all that too?
Dude dont even think about taking corals down there, dude call me up i used to live down there and know the ins and outs, but if your going to penny camp cant help you much, go down to marathon and go to looe key reef it is the best reef on the east coast of the united states by far. Just give me a call if you want to talk about it.

I always like diving the Islamorada area. If it's not too crowded, Diving Christ of the Abyss is nice too. Marathon is nice.....Sombrero Reef is cool.

www.Aqua-Nuts.com - Kelly's has always been good to us, and has some good dives out of Key Largo.

Yeah I can't wait. And by all means I am not taking anything thats going to get me in jail.:D

But I think taking a pistol shrimp will not hurt anything.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7558513#post7558513 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by asphaltpilot
I always like diving the Islamorada area. If it's not too crowded, Diving Christ of the Abyss is nice too. Marathon is nice.....Sombrero Reef is cool.

www.Aqua-Nuts.com - Kelly's has always been good to us, and has some good dives out of Key Largo.
Looe key is by far the nicest imo, what do you think? Strike zone do some really good dives and snorkeling trips.

I htink you mis-spelled it but that is a nice one. IMO, I like reefs that are more shallow. Kind of like lagoons. Those are nice.

I have been down there twice before. Looe is a good reef but ther are others. I am going when lobster season is up with another family that I have known for a while. Its going to be pretty cool.

if you are going during lobster season, be careful. It gets crazy down there. People are all over the place. Just be cautious. People get insane and the traffic on the water gets out of control.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7562215#post7562215 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bluecarpet
Looe key is by far the nicest imo, what do you think? Strike zone do some really good dives and snorkeling trips.
yeah, it's so nice in that area. I love it. I can't wait to get my busy butt back down there.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7566097#post7566097 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by thor32766
if you are going during lobster season, be careful. It gets crazy down there. People are all over the place. Just be cautious. People get insane and the traffic on the water gets out of control.
Well I am going with friends that I have known forever and they go to the Keyes twice a year so they know what they are doing. I can't wait.

Unfortunately the reef at Looe Key is dying fast. So many bleached out corals over the last 10 years. It's still nice but the cycle is on the quick down side I think. We're renting a house on Islamorada over the July 4th holiday and I am return for the mini season to Big Pine. I have been told there's a young reef just beyond the 7 mile bridge rubble pile that is growing fast and is loaded with fish and coral.

There are several collection houses stationed thru out the "keys". The coral and animals that have been harvested are better suited for you to take home. They've been safely removed and re-aclimated to a smaller enviroiment. If you take something directly from the water to your home be prepaired for battle. Small things that are docile but have had to fight to survive in the wild will naturally become very agressive in a tank and can wipe everything out. I did buy some cleaner shrimp($3) from one of the houses (farms really) in Marathon and they chased my fish around until they submitted to their inspection.

The Marine Patrol has eyes and ears! They can watch you from a very long distance with high powered binocs. We were boarded a fe years ago because they thought we had an undesized fish on the boat. It was just over the min. They were over a mile away and saw us land the fish. Beware! They have no mercy and will take whatever you have.
A couple families were camping on Big Pine a few years back and decided to go out to Looe to do some fishing. When they got back the Monroe Co. Sherriff and Marine Patrol were waiting and took both of the dads away in a cruiser and took possession of their camper, boat and van. They left the two women and their kids standing on the dock.
Ruthless! (I loved it!)

The tallest answer is.... Mauna Kea (33,474 feet)
Been There....Done That :)

Mauna Kea is the correct answer. Yeah I was not planning on taking any corals nor fish. I just like some of the cool critters that are there. Should be pretty exciting.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7585103#post7585103 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bluecarpet
Here is a good guy, a personel friend of mine just let me know when you are going down and i will tell him to look after you, buy the stuff on your last day, i am sure you know that though. He has some really nice angels in year round.
http://members.aol.com/tscaturro/Main.html

Like I said, I am going with a family that I know really well. I don't need anyone to look after me.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7585156#post7585156 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 55semireef
Like I said, I am going with a family that I know really well. I don't need anyone to look after me.
Wow sorry dude, just trying to help, i am sure that family does not know tom, but just trying to help. And when i mean look after you i mean he can work on you with the prices. Not like take care of you like a baby,lol.:lol:

Back