good hair alage eater?

supermarvin76

I know that the best thing is to figure out what is causing it and get rid of that, but.......I am woundering what is the best hair alage eater out there. My tank is only 30" long so tangs are out, our I would look into a Kole Tang.

Aside from tangs, what is there that would love to eat some stuff that I don't want?

Thanks.

foxface or rabbatfish are good algae eaters, but they may get too big as well. Something to look into though.

I have had best luck with Mexican Turbo Snails, although they do not seem to live long...probably because they were harvested from cooler waters. Anyway, I have also used normal cleanup crews like scarlet hermits and normal Turbos with modest success. I do currently have a pincushion urchin that loves all things with chlorophyll that I absolutely adore!

I get the blue leg hermit crabs, never get too big, and still take care of extra foo on the bottom. Just load the tank with them. I usually put one per gallon.

I have hermit the blue legged type and they have never eaten any hair algae. I think your best bet is to find the root cause and correct it. Growing a macroalgae would really help a lot.

Regards,

Pat

i purchased a Sea Hare the other day and its doing a pretty good job of eating through the green hair algae that i have in my tank...im thinking of getting a second one just for kicks..

Sailfin("Lawnmower") Blennie

Some people say they don't always eat Hair ALgae but I have 2 in 2 different tanks and both are hearty eaters

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8071045#post8071045 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by imtheonlylp
i purchased a Sea Hare the other day and its doing a pretty good job of eating through the green hair algae that i have in my tank...im thinking of getting a second one just for kicks..

I do not recommend more then one seahare per tank. They are great at eatting algae but once the algae is clean they may not eat anything else.

I am actually having good luck with the Astrea Snail... Granted they've only been in my tank for 3 days now, but they got some good size spots cleared off of my rocks and the glass!!

Back