Good HOB overflows for 55g?

LikeWater

I have a 55g and originally came up with the conclusion that all sides were not tempered. after further investigation, I found out it was. Thank goodness the investigation didn't include the drilling part yet. Anyway, does anyone have any recommendations for good HOB overflow system? Any help would be much appreciated. Mahalo!

All around tempered glass?! I've never seen that before. There are tons of HOBs out there. I used to have a CPR and it worked well. Just make sure you use a little powerhead to suck the air out if the siphon ever breaks

I've heard this is fairly common on 55's. I have a 55 that I need to take to a glass place to get checked out for tempered before making a decision. How did you find out that yours was tempered all the way around? If mine is, Im thinking Lifereef hob overflow......if not, glass holes

I think I've seen that video....but will definitely watch it again. I remember doing the laptop trick with my polarized sunglasses, but I felt like I still wasn't completely sure.......so was going to call around and see if I could get it tested whether its tempered or not.

Yes....Lifereef seems to have a great product, and they claim theyve never had one flood. A bit pricier than most hob overflows, but I've only heard good things about them.

Now.....where's my laptop and 3d glasses

Yea I was unsure as well when trying that polarized trick. Took me a minute, but I figured out how to work it. I felt pretty dumb lol.

Anyway, let me know what you come up with! I'm scanning the web for any cheap used lifereefs =).

Also, since the lifereef single recommends a return pump w/ 900 gph I guess I'm gonna go with an Eheim 1262 as well. Just gonna slap a ball valve on the bad boy if it's too much. I rather not need but have, than not have but need.

btw, anyone have a cheap =P Eheim 1262 for sale? message me! =)

wow....i didn't notice that they recommend that big of a pump with the single. i already purchased my pump, a maxijet 1800.....475 max gph with no head loss......so i would be quite a bit under that. i think it would still be okay though, and don't see why i would need much larger for my 55

I just made one out of PVC. It's only been running for about a month but is doing fine. Best part is its cheap.

Google PVC overflow. I can take a pic later but my lights are off now and I cat get a good one. Should be able to build it for about $15

^Jinx, is it the same design as uarujoey's one?

wow....i didn't notice that they recommend that big of a pump with the single. i already purchased my pump, a maxijet 1800.....475 max gph with no head loss......so i would be quite a bit under that. i think it would still be okay though, and don't see why i would need much larger for my 55
Yea in the description they say because of head loss. Hopefully the maxijet should be ok, but there's only one way to find out! Did you determine whether or not your tank sides were tempered or not?

Lifereef overflow boxes. Done and done. I have never heard ill of them or a bad rating.
Exactly. It costs a pretty penny but from all the reviews it seems worth it.

Does the tank have anything in it? If it is empty you could consider getting a reef ready tank with built in overflows and use the current 55 as a sump if your stand has enough room. The 55s are really common and not too expensive. Otherwise, I would look at the life reef overflow or just use HOB filters and skimmers. I thought about doing a sump on my 55 gallon and the life reef seemed to be the best option with the eshopps a distant second according to my research.

Back