good idea?? rotating powerhead made from that water sprinkler thing??

i was a HD 30 mins ago and was down the 'outdoor' section and say that garden sprinker thing that auto rotate via water pressure.. im not shure what it is called ( it's not then machine gun rain bird thing) it has a rectangle base and has a curved spraybar that 'fans' left and right to water the lawn.. i was wondering if that can be modified into a powerhead or somthing... it look like it can work but then again... who knows.. only downer i see is that it is made kind of cheap ( thin plastic ) so i dont know if it could hould up a powerhead to rotate ..

anyhow.. any ideas??
YzGYz

I thought the same thing. Yes and no. Its gear driven internally. There are two small gears in it that rotate the arm that turns the spray bar. It works, but you would need an awful big pump to get any pressure out of it. I hooked up the standard MJ1200 and got little more than a trickle out of the other end. I cut the spray bar down to eliminate all the little holes and still the same effect. I think to make it effective you would almost have to triple the flow or go w/ a pressure pump of some kind.

That's pretty cool. Not the one YzGyz was asking about, but cool anyway. Any idea if that rotates 360 degrees or right to left.

i sell this stuff for a living and you need atleast 30 psi to make it work like its made to and shoots 17 to 29 feet in someones lawn.

yeah i was 90% shuire that you need good pressure.. ( i use to do plumbing.. and the standard city water is around 40 psi ) i was thinking more in the lines of the return... kinda like how scwd.... but cheaper.. maybe.... =) ... then do that great idea that everyone els is doing with a tunze nano zip tied on it...

A couple years ago there was a HUGE thread on sprinklers for wave makers. People were modifying them ... some liked it and if I recall correctly most did not.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9834882#post9834882 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mazdaghost
i sell this stuff for a living and you need atleast 30 psi to make it work like its made to and shoots 17 to 29 feet in someones lawn.

... but we don't want them to work like they are made to. The water pressure is necessary to push the head up against the tension of the spring and shoot long distances. We need to do neither.

Give it a try. If nothing else, you might be able to use gear assembly for rotation in your own contraption...

I took one apart and destroyed it in doing so, just to see what was inside. There are too many parts that are cheaply built and loosely fit for my tastes. I would love to see someone make it work well.

The modified sprinkler that rotates 360 degrees and costs like $3 is your best bet for success for this project. Others have done it and it works.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=818814&highlight=DIY+sea+swirl

I read a lengthy post on it some time ago, but cant seem to find the one that used the 360 degreed sprinkler.

they are not made to take apart so i would suggest using the one on to the right it has no spring and is used for nursery and has am 1/2 thread on bottom and are like
10 dollars. SPRINKLER

Back