Good LFS in Myrtle Beach

sedor

I'm afraid this thread might not get much response, because the forum does not seem very active. The family and I are heading down to Myrtle Beach and one of my demands was that I was able to visit an LFS while I was there. Anyone have any suggestions on the best reef store in Myrtle? I'm actually going to be in Holden Beach, but we'll be traveling to Myrtle daily.

there is also Coastline pet supply at 17 bypass and socastee blvd but they don't have near the selection as Bruce at Sea Critters.

I'll be there the week of july 4th, so I'll stop in and check 'em out too

maybe if they got some good deals I can break federal rules and transport animals across state lines last year like I did with our turtle (wife saw those hatchlings in the beach shops and felt bad for 'em :-\ )

I didn't know you couldn't transport animals across state lines, how do the shipping companies do it? I'll definitely have to check out Sea Critters, is it a big store, or one of the mom and pop type stop ins?

hehe, that is seriously all I heard from pet stores for like 3 months after we did that.... and then I actually looked into it and it's true, unless you have a license for it you are not supposed to bring any 'exotic' (meaning it's not a dog or cat basically) across state lines.

It's basically to keep people from releasing species into habitats they don't belong... that's why we got snakeheads now apparently too :p

The sale of snake-heads were banned here in SC. Also i believe the nation in like 2004 or maybe a little later. Cause of an outbreak in Maryland. Cause folks buy animals cause they are cute. Then they grow to be ugly guys of monstrous size and they go to local river or stream and say bye bye. we had some pa cu that got released in river and when they were caught by local fisherman everyone was like hey there are piranha here in Socastee. Of course Pa-cu are a distant cousin to piranha. But not as aggressive. So of course the stupid idiots in our government, said hey you cant sale these animals cause folks aren't smart enough, or responsible enough owners. As they say a few bad apples ruin the orchard.

Last edited:
yup

I actually caught a snakehead last year fishing with my father, we were pretty sure that's what it was so we called fish and wild life on it when we brought it on board... they swung by about 15 minutes later (was already a ranger or whatever on the river)... said yup, and cut it's head off with a knife instantly.

So I went all the way to Sea Critters today, and it was closed for the holidays :( I guess Bruce deserves a break too. Next time i'm in the area i'll have to stop by again. Coastline Pet Supply did have a saltwater section, but it was quite pathetic. They seemed to do a lot more freshwater business. My overall opinion is that I am lucky to have so many amazing reef stores in my area. I figured the coast would be full of them, but boy was I mistaken.

when were you here? if it was memorial day weekend he was closed for black bike week. He is normally only open tues and thurs evenings and sat and sunday days if I'm not mistaken.

Just an update on this store in case anybody searches it down the road....

Bruce is a great guy.. I stopped in on July 4th and looked around. It's a small store but he has a really nice selection. I'm going back down today and so we can plan out what time to meet there to pickup some fish to take back home.

Just an update on this store in case anybody searches it down the road....

Bruce is a great guy.. I stopped in on July 4th and looked around. It's a small store but he has a really nice selection. I'm going back down today and so we can plan out what time to meet there to pickup some fish to take back home.

Seacritter

Seacritter

Im down in myrtle beach from ohio and was also wanting to visit a LFS. I seacritters gonna be open today or sometime this week??

He'll be open again thurs 6-9 and Saturday he should be there about 10 since thats when I'm going in to pick up my fish

Back