good LFS in the area?

dviper150

Anyone know of good LFS in the Shaumburg, Elgin, Bartlett area? Also are their any thanksgiving sales coming up for fish anywhere or equipment?

Coral Reef in Norridge will have 20% off everything in the store on the 28th (SAT 5pm - 11pm). It is about 30min drive from Shaumburg.

Beyond the Reef is in Schuamburg also. A little farther is Sea Schor in Buffalo Grove.

i have been to beyond the reef and they charge too much for tax. Sea escapes in south elgin doesn't have that high tax but i don't like their fish selection. I would probably pick beyond the reef over sea escapes anyways because their fish selection and quality makes up for it.

meh, wasn't all that impressed with Advanced Aquatics the one time I was in there. Half the tanks were dark and dingy lookin' and water slopped all over the floors. They have huge frag tanks at the front of the store that are kind of cool, but everything else left me feeling, well, blah. There was a rather large group of local punk teens hangin' out near the back of the store, each one trying to talk up the next spouting off the most absurd things trying to sound like they really know what they're talking about. The whole 15 minutes or so I spent walking throughout the store, not a single employee said "Hi" or approached me to see if I needed help with anything. I left the store without a single eyebrow being raised at my presence.

I like Beyond the Reef on Golf Road. They have a lot of neat stuff, but they are so overpriced it is laughable. The only reason I'd go there is to window shop.

I usually end up going to Aquarium Adventures, which is right around the corner from Beyond the Reef. Their prices are slightly more reasonable, and they usually have more stuff in stock. Their SW tanks usually aren't the best looking, but their coral selection is decent. Their Fish Club usually provides very decent savings off regular prices.

I haven't been to too many other SW/Reef stores in the area, not that there are that many! I've been to Sea Escapes in South Elgin a couple times without too much fanfare. They have some stuff, but it's not that big of a store.

I'd really be interested in any other recommendations for local LFS. I'm in Elgin and don't have too many SW LFS around me.

I am in Elgin too. Not many good LFS in the area. The good ones are usually 30 mins or more away from Elgin.

I usually end up going to Aquarium Adventures, which is right around the corner from Beyond the Reef. Their prices are slightly more reasonable, and they usually have more stuff in stock. Their SW tanks usually aren't the best looking, but their coral selection is decent. Their Fish Club usually provides very decent savings off regular prices.

I haven't been to too many other SW/Reef stores in the area, not that there are that many! I've been to Sea Escapes in South Elgin a couple times without too much fanfare. They have some stuff, but it's not that big of a store.

I'd really be interested in any other recommendations for local LFS. I'm in Elgin and don't have too many SW LFS around me.

:lol:

remember that this hobby isnt cheap and you get what you pay for when you go to your lfs.
id say chicagoland has a decent selection of your lfs and you need to try em all at least once to find the one or two you like best.
can anyone post of the lfs finder link in this thread? i dont have it saved anymore.
thx.

:lol:

remember that this hobby isnt cheap and you get what you pay for when you go to your lfs.
id say chicagoland has a decent selection of your lfs and you need to try em all at least once to find the one or two you like best.
can anyone post of the lfs finder link in this thread? i dont have it saved anymore.
thx.

The main reason I head to Aquarium Adventure more than other stores is because I can make it there and back during my lunch hour. I've only bought one pair of clownfish from them about 9 months ago. They're still alive and doing well. I've bought a couple corals and some live rock from them. But mostly I'm buying either CUC or dry goods, and they're okay for that.

I wish there were more good LFS out in my area. I never get to any of the really good LFS that I hear about because I'm usually too busy on nights and weekends to go anywhere other than local stores. Luckily, I'm been able to rely on forum members for most of my coral purchases. I'll probably just continue to do that as they usually have much better specimens than any LFS!

http://www.zoyzoy.com/aquarium/aquariumstoresmap.php

that is the link for the LFS locator....

For you Elgin folks...Reef Plus is down randall in North Aurora...He has some decent deals going on there sometimes. Scott's Pet Shop in Weschester I heard is getting better... There is Tropiquatics in Lombard... Sea Schor and Sho Tank are up in a lil farther north. Unfortunately there is not a awhole lot that far out west...

Thanks for that link. I didn't even know there was a link until someone earlier on this thread mentioned it.

meh, wasn't all that impressed with Advanced Aquatics the one time I was in there. Half the tanks were dark and dingy lookin' and water slopped all over the floors. They have huge frag tanks at the front of the store that are kind of cool, but everything else left me feeling, well, blah. There was a rather large group of local punk teens hangin' out near the back of the store, each one trying to talk up the next spouting off the most absurd things trying to sound like they really know what they're talking about. The whole 15 minutes or so I spent walking throughout the store, not a single employee said "Hi" or approached me to see if I needed help with anything. I left the store without a single eyebrow being raised at my presence.

I like Beyond the Reef on Golf Road. They have a lot of neat stuff, but they are so overpriced it is laughable. The only reason I'd go there is to window shop.

Are you sure we're talking about the same stores?

We have a bunch of great stores around here and I would be hard pressed to talk bad about any of them. They all have their pros and cons but none are bad.

Beyond the Reef is a nice store with OK pricing and helpful staff.

Aquarium Adventure is the most overpriced store around. Being a fish club member does get you like 25% (?) off but the fish are generally twice the cost as else where.

As for Advanced Aquatics, I find the tanks are lit nicely and the place is kept clean. The pricing is reasonable. Especially dry goods. The only way you were not asked if you needed help was if they were busy with other customers.

There is no way Glen or anybody working there is going to allow "a rather large group of local punk teens hangin' out near the back of the store". It's a nice place.

Are you sure you've been to these places?

+1 with Flapjack, Glen at advaced is a great guy. Aquarium Adventures is a waste of time and money. Coral Reef in Norridge is good, so is Living Sea on Randall

Heheh its funny how one person likes a store and another hates it.

I tend to find good deals at Tropicquatics in Lombard.

check out exotic aquatic on randall and algonquin road. also reef pluss in north aurora on randall just north of 88.

what happened to aquatic reef by spring hill mall?? I use to go there before and I think it closed? did it move somewhere else?

Back