Good pellets for tangs?

Capt_Cully

Finally feeding pellets after about 13 years in the game. I never fed my tangs nori or anything special. Fat & happy on mysis for over a decade. So, now that I've got a tomini and a purple, I'm afraid they'll need more than just NLS Ultra Red. So I'm either going back to frozen, or I'll need some tang specific pellets.

Wha DD ya gotta?

My tank has never seen pellet or flake in years. It has been LRS for the last few year's . I ventured to try piscine energetics. The first time I fed the tank the fish almost did back flips . Was very impressed with this food. Reason for trying was needed to feed during the day with out defrosting frozen. So now they get the best of both worlds. LRS & pepellets.

I use there Reef Frenzy and the Herbivore Frenzy
Multiple tangs blue hippo / vlamingi
The clowns also eat both foods

I had to Google nls food .
That food is extra high in po4 .
Drop one piece in a po4 test when you done it will turn the darkest shade of blue .

Cully,

When I was in the game, I fed my fish NLS exclusively, with the occasional nori and they thrived. Big, fat, healthy tangs.

I feed NLS and NLS herbivore pellets. I also just started feeding the PE pellets as well as Haikari

My tangs go nuts for all of them.

You guys are just feeding straight up NLS? Or any special variation? Herbivore not withstanding...thanks for recs.

I use regular sinking 2mm and 1mm pellets.
PE mysis is the all time PO4 champ. That's not to say it's bad. I supplement NLS pellet very sparingly with Hikari mysis and other frozen "treats"

I pre-rinse the PE.

New to pellets but loving the ease and cost reduction. But rather than do actual research it's just easier to ask you lot.

I feed nls .5 small fish formula. My tomini doesn't care. Cyclops, pe mysis, mega marine, hikari. dealing with hair algae. tomini spends a lot of time cleaning rock. zero nori given

Gary might still use his feeding funnel to his pump; nls floats, so it needs to be auto fed into a ring if it's going straight into the tank or it is quickly surface skimmed over the weir. I had bad luck with ehiem feeders which is too bad because, when working, it is much easier to use than my forever old constant gear driven type.

I have a Neptune Sys AFS but I'm too chicken to trust it. I just pinch, submerge, and release.

I have a small Tomini James. Likes the pellets and 1-2x/wk mysis. Nori has always been a mess for me. Fish ignore it. Gets everywhere.

I just added a fat beautiful small purple. He's picking at the rocks but so far ignoring my offerings.

Also battling GHA but some Mexican turbos are finally getting me over the hump with it.

Get an Eheim auto feeder for pellet feedings
+1

Best auto-feed I have used. I mix half and half Ocean Nutrition Formula One and Two and feed twice a day. A couple of times a week I give some frozen mysis and SFB Emerald Entree. Everybody seems happy. I don't have high end SPS though so I can't say how it effects those kinds of things but in my overstocked tank the fish are happy. 12 year old pair of ocellaris, 10 year old six-line wrasse, another bunch I had for about 6 years including a Scopas Tang.

Gary might still use his feeding funnel to his pump; nls floats, so it needs to be auto fed into a ring if it's going straight into the tank or it is quickly surface skimmed over the weir. I had bad luck with ehiem feeders which is too bad because, when working, it is much easier to use than my forever old constant gear driven type.

Thinking I made it sound like it floats, sinking sinks once the surface tension is broken, but much still can go over the surface skimmer.

Ocean Nutrition formula one medium pellets for Emperor, bluethroat trigger et.al. Ocean Nutrition formula two (herbivore) medium pellets for the obese Powder Blue and Foxface. The stuff is slightly moist like dog food, they love it, smells awesome.

Pinch of NLS for the Pearlscale and damsels. Cut up frozen clam meat and squid maybe once a week.

My tomi is small as well. I use an innovative marine feeding station? kinda pricey, 25$ ? Works well. pellets are dispensed out the bottom. saves a lot of grub going over the falls. Fish line up

Back