Good tang

Joe0813

Hey everyone I just had a question about tangs.... my tank is almost up and ready to be cycled i just need to buy a few more little things. ive really taken my time with this since money was a issue with the car mechanic business really struggling lately. so i have a 75 gallon reef ready, mp40, aquaticlife t5 6bulb with 4 moonlights, reef octopus 1000sss, and a mag7 in a proflex model 3 sump. Im new to saltwater tanks and im planning on having a reef tank. So i havent really started looking for fish but i do know i want a pair of clowns and thats basically it so fair :hmm3: I know i want a tang but i dont know what would be a good tang for that size tank and a easy tang for a beginner like myself if there even is a easy to care for tang. Im open to all suggestions and even maybe a fish list if someone has some ideas. Thanks for looking.....
Joe

well most people on here would say no tang should be in a tank shorter then 6 foot in length because they are swimmers and will get stressed if they dont have enough room to swim. but i disagree in "some" cases. if you have really good water circulation in the tank a tang will have to swim harder which is good since they love to swim like crazy. if you have a mp40 i would get a second one to help the tang out since a 75 gallon tank is considered small for a tang. i would say if any tang i would go with a yellow or purple tang. i have 2 tangs (yellow and blue) in my 90 gal. tank but i know sooner or later a year or so i will have to give away my blue tang since i know they get really big. im sure the tang police will chime in here any time now :)

Last edited:
ya i read that post about the tank sizes but i still dont know what would be a good tang for someone like me who is just starting out. and i would agree with the water circulation comment to by the way. because it does make sense. i might pick up a mp10 to for the other side of my tank.

There are two breeds of Tangs that are suitable for smaller tanks, including your 75. They are the Kole and the Tomini. I recently added a Tomini to my four foot tank and he's doing very well, after six weeks in quarantine. Tangs require some special care and knowledge and I would not add a Tang to a new tank, no matter what size it is. Your Clowns will be hardy starter fish and I would add them first. Even after a carefully cycled tank, there can be fish losses due to something we occasionally call "new tank syndrome". Add new fish very slowly and wait on a Tang addition for at least six months.

There are two breeds of Tangs that are suitable for smaller tanks, including your 75. They are the Kole and the Tomini. I recently added a Tomini to my four foot tank and he's doing very well, after six weeks in quarantine. Tangs require some special care and knowledge and I would not add a Tang to a new tank, no matter what size it is. Your Clowns will be hardy starter fish and I would add them first. Even after a carefully cycled tank, there can be fish losses due to something we occasionally call "new tank syndrome". Add new fish very slowly and wait on a Tang addition for at least six months.

Ya I know about nts. I'm not in any rush to put the tang in so I will wait like you said. It will also give me more time to learn how to properly test the water and everything else.

i was looking around on the internet for tangs.... some of the the tank sizes on this website differ alot then what is on our tank sizes for tangs. i trust r/c over this but heres the link if anyone wants to check it out. [sorry: link to other reef site not allowed.]

Last edited by a moderator:
Does price matter to you? I like the purple tangs, but they are more pricey than if you get a blue or yellow. As far as tank size like i kinda agree with what scarface is saying. the circulation will make the tang swim harder. I'm no expert, just an opinion.

I think a tomini or yellow eye kole tang would be good choices. I noticed that you would like some other fish suggestions so I will give you some ideas for other fish. I personally like fairy or flashed wrasse are good choices, I also like watchman gobies paired with a pistol shrimp. One other suggestion would be a royal gramma. To get more ideas you should check out liveaquaria.com. The tank sizes listed are one of the most responsible given by retailers.

Does price matter to you? I like the purple tangs, but they are more pricey than if you get a blue or yellow. As far as tank size like i kinda agree with what scarface is saying. the circulation will make the tang swim harder. I'm no expert, just an opinion.

No price isnt really a problem because im taking my time with everrrrything so im saving up for the equipment i really want, fish and inverts that i want and so on.

I think a tomini or yellow eye kole tang would be good choices. I noticed that you would like some other fish suggestions so I will give you some ideas for other fish. I personally like fairy or flashed wrasse are good choices, I also like watchman gobies paired with a pistol shrimp. One other suggestion would be a royal gramma. To get more ideas you should check out liveaquaria.com. The tank sizes listed are one of the most responsible given by retailers.

ya i was looking at the tomini tang over the kole for now.... ya i like gobies too. i will check out liveaquaria to for other ideas on fish selection

+1 on all the tangs stated so far. they are all very beautiful fish. i just wish they didnt get stressed out so easily... does anyone know why tangs get so stressed so easily.

kole tang, great fish and swims alot. wait till the tank is a few months old if you can. mine eats nori like its free.

i see you are from boston, are you on BRS forum too?

kole tang, great fish and swims alot. wait till the tank is a few months old if you can. mine eats nori like its free.

i see you are from boston, are you on BRS forum too?

Ya Iam from Boston... I'm on bostonreefers.org.

Thanks by the way to everyone who replied

I really liked my kole tang. When you look closely at them they actually have this amazing blue pinstripeing/patterning. IME they are less shy as well which is a big bonus IMO. Additionally you would be able to keep one in a 75 with out having to prey about a later upgrade. :)

Here are a couple pics of my kole... I miss this fish :(

35e2d0c8.jpg

DSC_7838.jpg

Back