Gracilaria

mano

Anyone know where to get some Gracilaria from? Prefer G. pacifica because I need it for a cooler water tank. Thanks for any ideas!

graveyardworm

Premium Member
Here's what I found on algaebase. Looks like the stuff is native to the west coast. I have no idea what collection resrictions you may have, but it may be as simple as a trip to the beach.

grupper

I got mine from: http://www.liveplants.gulf-coast.net/macroalgae.htm If I remember right, it was around $15 with shipping.

Although, you might want to do some more research before buying it. I was actually looking for a thread that might teach me the trick to keeping gracilaria.

This is the first thread I've found so far: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=640112

Its not very useful.

From my own experence, the gracilaria started to grow quickly and then after a while parts of it started to turn white and it gradually fell apart. Some of the fragments found some places in the shade and started to grow again, but after a while they also started having the same problems.

From a internet search I found that at least some of the species of gracilaria that they try to aquaculture for food in natural sea water seem to have the same problems.

graveyardworm

Premium Member
I am currently keeping two species of gracilaria both are growing very fast. I dont believe either one is the temperate species that mano is looking for though.

Samala

Unfortunately Gulf Coast Ecosystems (grupper's first link) is out of the macro/marine plant game for now. They havent been shipping plants in over a year. Just a quick fyi. :)

>Sarah

mano

Thanks everyone for the replies. I am indeed looking for the temperate species and I may have to find a place it grows so I can collect some since I can't find enough of the correct species.

plaz

Premium Member
What are the two species you are growing successfully and how much lighting/flow do they get? I've had trouble getting it to grow too! Thanks!

graveyardworm

Premium Member
You talkin to me? Dont know what species just that they are Gracillaria. They are in a 35 gal tank with 1 65 watt LOA fixture, and low to moderate flow. I dose iron, and KNO3. This tank is connected to a larger system where I have some fish and a suncoral and I feed heavily.