Grafting montipora digitata?

Fish Ed

I just fragged a green and pink monti digi and glued them closely right next to each other. Just wondering if they would fuse? Or am I just wasting my time. I'll update pictures if it does graft/fuse.

I wouldn't say your wasting your time. They might, but I think its also possible that they might just intertwine rather than graft depending on the amount of open space between the branches. If one grows densely there is a higher chance they will graft than if they both grow with lots of space between the branches. With a plating monti the main points of open space are in between layers, so with them if you glue the frags right next to each other at the same level, there is a fair chance that at some point they will graft.

i tried it with a green and orange one. the orange outgrew the green way fast. i had to separate them so that the green would live

I think the glue would lower the chances of success.

You should try a nice flat cut on both pieces, glue these down on one surface, but without glue between them.

This will hold them in contact with one another, without the glue isolating them from each other. Good luck.

It's tough trying to get corals to graft, I've been at it for a while and it depends on so many things the best advice I can give is to just keep at it if it's something you're interested in trying.

also fwiw, my green and orange have grown in next to each other, and i have started noticing white mucousy film between them where they are very close to touching. that also would lead me to the logical conclusion that they would not graft very well, if at all since they are fighting with each other

also fwiw, my green and orange have grown in next to each other, and i have started noticing white mucousy film between them where they are very close to touching. that also would lead me to the logical conclusion that they would not graft very well, if at all since they are fighting with each other

That's actually very common , all the digi I grafted and capricornis all do this when first touching, I found its only temp.

+1
Think they will either fight it out (loser gets tissue loss) or just grow over each other.

Here is sequence of 2 monti's in close proximity. The green one just crawled over the other one.

Original Red Monti plug - Happy as Ever

IMG_1503

The Neighbouring Monti - Creeping. You can see the red monti on the right.

IMG_1501

Couple of months later: Green meets Red. Who will win???
IMG_1682

Invasion of Green and the advantage of elevation. Red didn't stand a chance.
IMG_1977a

With digis, I've always found one to outgrow the other and plate over top of the weaker one or kill it off. Good luck though, that would be sweet to see a grafted digitata.

I've also begun to experiment! I placed two very close in proximity to one an other and they are both spreading out pretty fast. Only time will tell but either way it should be interesting to see what happens! I'll bump back in a week or two and see what direction this goes!

I've also begun to experiment! I placed two very close in proximity to one an other and they are both spreading out pretty fast. Only time will tell but either way it should be interesting to see what happens! I'll bump back in a week or two and see what direction this goes!

what is the green/blue coral in this pic? to the right.. I have a piece that looks exactly like this. trying to find out what the heck it is. thanks

Well not sure if the experiment worked but recently stumbled upon a page on ig with a guy sell grafted digi frags

Back