Grasping Alk / Cal 2-part Supplementation???

After a day of tinkering and adjusting calculations (my system is about 80 gallons, not 100), my Alk is at 9, Cal at 450, pH at 8.4.. Life is good! Now I just need to test over the next week to come up with a dosing scheme to maintain everything.

Thanks Again Guys!

Trial and error-- keep a closer eye on the alkalinity then the calcium... it will tend to drop faster (fractionally) then the calcium--

when I mean fractionally, I mean a 10% drop in alkalinity will yield a smaller fractional drop in calcium (about 5% or so)-- you will still add equal volumes of each 1/2 of the 2 part to maintain the levels in balance

Did you add some pink rocks mixxed in with the rest of your substrate? looks like it

Try rubbing stuff on the glass with your finger, if its slimey it may be cyano, kinda looks like it. If it doesn't come off its coraline

Thanks for the tip Spuds! I'll test for alk over the next few days and see what to dose (both parts).

Bri, the sand I used is called Pink Samona. The pink was in it already. Good tip with rubbing the algae. I'll try that tonight.

Back