Gravel for a new build

cadmanof50s

I am planning a new reef tank build and wondering what everyone else is using for gravel.

I currently have a 130g and using crushed coral. It is relatively coarse pieces, certainly not "sand". I am pleased with it and I have always used crushed coral in marine tanks. But many people frown on using it but not sure why. Someone said that crushed coral was what we used in the 70s and 80s...which is true...but not sure if that is a bad thing or not.

Wondering what my other options are and what everyone else is using.

I don't have a very thick sand bed. I use live rock rubble in the sump and I have 300 pounds of LR in the aquarium for biological filtration..So I am not relying much on the sand bed. I like the course substrates better simply because I have very high circulation. It doesn't blow around so much as with the smaller grains. The new tank will have much the same setup.

Would like to hear what everyone else is using and what their experience/opinions is.

Thanks,
Vic

Is it going to be another mixed reef or are you going sps? Ever thought about going bare bottom? I do prefer the crushed coral that is not extremely fine like you mentioned and that's what I run in my display. BB in my frag tank with lots of flow...

Hi Gundo.

Its going to be a mix of SPS and LPS....that's what I have now. Bare bottom sounds like an excellent plan..its probably the best bet for cleanliness. I must admit, however, I don't like the look.

Vic

i have used both crushed coral and sand, i would say what ever you are comfortable with and what pleases your eye is the way to go.

Back