Gray Growth on my Live Rock

SubVet631

I have a growth on my live rock that is spreading and looks like mold for no better discription, but under water. Is this a good algee that I should keep or something I should get out of my reef tank? Any infor and help would be welcomed!

Attachments

• Gray Growth 2.jpg
    Gray Growth 2.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 0
  • Gray Growth 1.jpg
    Gray Growth 1.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 0

dppitone

In Memoriam
Hard to tell from the pics, but it's probably a kind of sponge/fungi, especially if it's in the shade or away from direct light yet growing. If so, it's good.

SubVet631

That would be good. I have taken a better picture and hope it is better. It is both in direct light and shaded. I like the looks of it but don't want it to get out of control.
Thanks for the help.

SubVet631

Okay it did not seem to want to post the picture so here I go again. I down sized it hoping that it was just to large.

Attachments

• 20131031_181000.jpg
    20131031_181000.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 0

SubVet631

dppitone,
Thanks. I do like it but was uncertain if it was good or bad growth, it has grown a lot in a short time so I was a bit concerned it would damage other good growth.

MARINECRITTERS

Looks like fungal or bacterial gowth, sponges tend to have more structure.
Either way it is not much of an issue, it will just die off as the tank matures and nutrient levels go down.

dppitone

In Memoriam
I get joy from diversity so most everything is good, except glass anemones. The definition of "weed" is subjective even with reefs.