Green Hair Algae New Tank Help!!

giants101

Hey Guys.

55 gallon tank, 60lbs live rock, 60lbs live sand. New Tank, 4wks running. Canister filter cleaned once a week, protein skimmer, 4 powerheads. 12 snails, 12 blue leg hermits, 2 damsels. I have green algae growing on my walls, hair-like. 78 degrees, 216watt t-5 lighting.

How can I fix?? Will it just pass with time?

i first used tap water with water conditioner. I haven't tested my parameters yet. Please tell me what to do!!?

Get a phosphate reactor when you find out that your phosphates are too high. I also refilled my tank when I moved it with tap water and had very high phosphates.

Algae blooms of all sorts are common in new tanks. Get your RO up and running, don't overfeed, and manually remove as much algae as you can by hand. I did my first fill with tap as well and had terrible hair algae for about a month and a half. I just did what I listed above and it eventually just stopped growing and died out. This is all just my experience. Your mileage may vary.

Hold up. Your tank is new. Give it 60 days from when you started it before adding any more fish. Let the algae do it's thing for a while. It's taking up ammonia, nitrite and nitrate produced by the cycle and some phosphate from fish waste and uneaten food or die off.

Once you are running 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite with nitrate at 20 ppm or less for a week or two, then you can consider reducing phosphate if it's high. For now skimming and some manual export of the larger clumps of algae wouldn't hurt.

Back