Green Hair Algae

rich19020

I have a 72 gallon bow front which I set up in mid Nov. I just started to grow green hair algae. Nothing is touching it. I have 7 Turbos, 30 Hermits, 27 Nassarius, 16 Astraea. Not even my Kole Tang touching it. Also running a UV light 24 hours.

Here are my water parameters:

Temp: 77.7
PH 8.1
Spec. Gravity 1025
KH 161.1
Calcium 440
Manesium 1200 (trying to raise)
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0

I think my numbers are looking good because the green algae is consuming it and keeping the levels in check.

Here are the additives I added the last couple of days:

1/4/2012 Brightwell - Alkalin 8.3 KH Buffer12 ml
1/4/2012 RedSea PO/Nox 6 ml
1/4/2012 Aquavitro Ions 14 ml
1/3/2012 Aquavitro Calcification 21 ml
1/3/2012 Aquavitro Ions 14 ml
1/3/2012 Brightwell - Alkalin 8.3 KH Buffer12 ml
1/3/2012 RedSea PO/Nox 6 ml

1/2/2012 Brightwell - Alkalin 8.3 KH Buffer12 ml
1/1/2012 RedSea PO/Nox 6 ml
1/1/2012 Brightwell - Alkalin 8.3 KH Buffer12 ml

Any suggestions before I cut the lights off for 2-3 days. Don't really want to do that because the corals are doing so well.

Within in the next 2 weeks I will be increasing the Sump from 15 gallons to 30 gallons and adding a 15 gallon refugium. I believe this should help, but I don't want the algae to bloom even more until then. Right now it is concentrated on 1 piece of live rock and isn't spreading just growing longer.

I would suggest you take out the 1 rock & scrub it clean if possible, then conduct your tests for the next week & find your fuel source, overfeeding, overstocked etc. Also snails & hermits prefer very new growth so if it does begin regrowing, they will more than likely attack it. If you are not using your own RO/DI water, I would also suggest testing your source water ie. LFS water, well water, tap water (not recommended).

What is a kh of 161?! Alkalinity is usually expressed in dkh around 9 or meq/l around 3.5. What scale are you using and what are the units of measurement?

How long have your tank been set up?
How long do you leave your lights on and how old are your bulbs?

Its okay to leave your lights off for a couple days and your corals will be fine to reduce some of the algae issues.

Also what made you decide to add so many additives? Over dosing to fight a problem would lead to more issues.

What is a kh of 161?! Alkalinity is usually expressed in dkh around 9 or meq/l around 3.5. What scale are you using and what are the units of measurement?

I suspect (hope) that it's PPM

Unit of Measure is important, people!

Lights are on from 7:30-5:00, Then lunar to 1:00am. Tank has been set up since Mid of Nov 2011. Lights were bought in Mid Nov with new bulbs.

My feeling is that the bioload might be too great for a new systmen. My question is how can I correct it without removing the livestock?

Thanks.

My foxface eats hair but only If I cut back on the frozen food. If you don't care about coraline algae and the habit of picking up and carrying around new frags an urchin will destroy hair algae.

stupid question about the urchins. Have you got stuck with one yet? That is one reason I havn't got one yet for the fear of being careless and getting stuck.

No I've never been stuck by one. The long spine ones are the ones with the really nasty spines and some of the sea eggs have venom in their feet but if you are careful or get a non venomous one you'll be OK. If you have to handle it nudge it from the bottom to get it up and then lift it from the bottom. I've gotten a slight rash but nothing else. I live in south florida and the local variety has short purple or red spines and I've never had a problem picking them up. The old wives tale is that if you do get stuck pee on the wound, luckily I've never had to try it out.

I got stuck by a bunch while diving in Mexico. Take tweezers and remove the spine broken off in your skin. Other than that they are pretty harmless.

On a separate note, many omnivores like to eat urchin. I had a sohol and a naso that would eat them in less than a day.

Back