Green Margaritaville loosing tissue..??

Bmore88

Tank is a 23 gallon peninsula. Running XR15 (AB+) at 100%. Tank is a year an 4 months old.

Chemistry is stable
dKH- 7.8
Ca- 510
Mg- 1500
NO3- 1.9
Ph04- .05
Temp 78-80

Added the green margaritaville from TSA 2 weeks ago and now it’s losing tissue.

Any ideas on why it’s recessing? Is it possible the lights are too strong?

All other corals are looking great
-yellow tip (sps)
- monitors digitata
-branching cyphastrea
- monitors capriconas
- torch coral
E21D7A76-A4FD-44D0-91F3-80E606C34F37.jpeg
42B8EBF3-A248-4CE2-8776-66E613D2AB6B.jpeg
84A625A7-DE03-4F6D-9D26-1E1C1D3E6F56.jpeg

dKH is a tiny bit low but I’d expect that with your Ca being a tiny bit high. Those have an inverse relationship.

If it were lighting, I’d think it would bleach from the top, not side/bottom.

Have you checked for Red/Black bugs and AEFWs?

dKH is a tiny bit low but I’d expect that with your Ca being a tiny bit high. Those have an inverse relationship.

If it were lighting, I’d think it would bleach from the top, not side/bottom.

Have you checked for Red/Black bugs and AEFWs?
I have not. What’s the best way to diagnose? Could you recommend a dip? Or do I need to just look very very closely?

You’ll need to look very closely. Magnifying glass recommended.

Unfortunately, once those are in your tank you might need to remove all Acros for a period of time. AEFW eggs are not affected by dips😣

I treat my Acros prior to putting them in the tank.

Or search KCL for a less toxic recommendation that @BeanAnimal recommends.

All that said, you may not have parasites. Sometimes Acros just RTN.

Unfortunately, once those are in your tank you might need to remove all Acros for a period of time. AEFW eggs are not affected by dips😣

Thanks for the info! Currently it’s not effecting the other 2 acros at the moment.. everything else is softies, lps and montipora.

I keep forgetting to order it!
I picked up a bottle of Revive or whatever it is.

Is it losing tissue over time or has it been quick? Could be STN. TSA is a pretty well known name in the game so I would doubt (though possible) it’s AEFW or red or black bugs. Some of mine have been doing it recently as well and haven’t been able to resolve it. The only thing I’m seeing is just a little low Alk but if it’s stable, it may just take the coral a minute to adjust (as long as it’s a slow recession).

Well it arrived on Feb 24th, so I guess it’s been fast (under 2 weeks.) But the other SPS that came with it is doing fine..

I’ll keep you posted and track it this week. Would be a shame because it’s such a beautiful piece. When the polyps are extended it’s one of my favorites.

RTN in my experience happens in hours to a couple days. From the sounds of it, if it is anything more than just a random die off, may be STN. Out of curiousity, did you handle it with bare hands? I wonder if something was on a finger that may have gotten on it?

RTN in my experience happens in hours to a couple days. From the sounds of it, if it is anything more than just a random die off, may be STN. Out of curiousity, did you handle it with bare hands? I wonder if something was on a finger that may have gotten on it?
I did hold it at the base when I cut the bottom of the plug and glued it to the rock.. but that isn’t even where it’s receding. It’s receding right down the side facing the most direct light.. also note the polyps haven’t come out in the last few days… not sure where to go with this or what to do other then monitor it and hope.

Could be stress from handling and glue or could be STN (A bacterial infection)

Revive, or Lugols dip? Maybe read some of Mike Palleta‘s experiences with STN.

Well unfortunately it has slowly continued to deteriorate.. the top of the frag still looks healthy, but the base is still slowly receding…. I guess it is STN.

How do these people justify buying expensive frags if it can just die off for no apparent reason??
1F0D2B8F-5CB4-4A89-88F4-72A2310B92DF.jpeg

For me it’s risk vs reward. The risk imo is relatively low but unfortunately can and does happen

Back