green moray keepers? or other large eels

I do not own a large eel but I have seen quite a few green moray, Gymnothorax funebris in LFS's in TN and FLA here recently. So it may be worth asking your local shops?

I've seen these at local stores... They are monsters... A Good 4-5 feet... Species only tank, and I would say at least 500-600 Minimum...

I had a pacific green moray that was the meanest creature I have ever owned...once found him trying to cram a panther grouper down his throat...he was actually ramming the corner of the tank trying to get the grouper down his throat....he was kept all alone after this...

im not even shure im prepared to keep one. was more just curious as to hear from experienced owners.

I haven't kept one, but have heard several horror stories about specimens that became too large and aggressive to control. I've kept a few eels, but none more terrifying than a very aggressive black edged moray I had for three years, until I could find it a home. And it was only two feet long! I was trying to move it from a tank, drained most of the water out, and was trying to herd it into a bucket. It was rocketing out of the water, lunging at my face. From what I've heard about green morays, they have similar temperaments, in a much larger package. :)

IF I were to get one it would start out in a 180 and then go into a 10 foot pool with my bamboo sharks. But it would be alone in the 180 and perhaps alone its whole life if it goes after the sharks, of course in a larger tank.

All I know about them is the scientific data online about them and the stories I have read. I have been told they can either be really mellow or completely psychotic. Guy at one LFS said he hand feeds and pets the 4'+ one he has, but I'm not sure I believe him.... I've never seen it with my own eyes. Also I believe in the thread titled "show me your eels" there is pictures of a guy petting and swimming in the tank with his?! With a size of 8'+/- I can not imagine how much the feeding would cost. A massive tank would be needed to properly house one. Your 10' pool idea may work but to keep the monster from escaping is gonna be a task and a half.

I very briefly had a pretty small G. funebris, and even though it was tiny, very active for a moray and stood up to larger fish. That being said I traded it in to a LFS, I had received the funebris during an attempt to find another aggressive local (G. vicinus). As for other large eels, I have a G. moringa at the moment, and it is certainly the most aggressive fish I've ever owned.

All I know about them is the scientific data online about them and the stories I have read. I have been told they can either be really mellow or completely psychotic. Guy at one LFS said he hand feeds and pets the 4'+ one he has, but I'm not sure I believe him.... I've never seen it with my own eyes. Also I believe in the thread titled "show me your eels" there is pictures of a guy petting and swimming in the tank with his?! With a size of 8'+/- I can not imagine how much the feeding would cost. A massive tank would be needed to properly house one. Your 10' pool idea may work but to keep the monster from escaping is gonna be a task and a half.

I've seen some huge green morays but I have never seen one over 5'. Do they really get to 8'?

anbosu; Like I mentioned all I know is what I have read. To be more exact fishbase states 150cm (4.91 feet) so I'm not sure where I read the 8' thing and I could be confused with another species. I do a lot of random research about eels so that very well could be the case. If so I do apologize for the misinformation.

Antonio

I have kept several. Expect a 5 ft plus size. I've had them eat everything from lookdowns and adult barracuda (yes, I said adult) up to bonnetheads and young black tip sharks.

Expect aggression issues as they get bigger and make sure to give them enough space - think pool size. From what I've seen, adults will make use of 4-5 regular "spots" to hang out in the rock. This holds true both in the wild and in captive settings. Eye issues are also a problem as they grow old. Not sure why, there are several theories floating around about it.

If you go for it, start with a small one. Sub adults and adults won't eat anything but live food (if at all) when collected.

Sounds like a bit more than I'm ready to take on at the time. Appreciate all the info though.
What requirements does a tesselata need?

My two little eels. The green moray lives with smaller fish (damsel, trigger, wrasse etc) and has never been caught eating one.

IMG-20120311-00383.jpg

IMG-20111122-00178.jpg

Back