Green Star Polyp, Should I Scrap em?

Vapour1ze

I'm an Addict.
I have about a 5lb piece of LR covered 100% with GSP, it was in my 29, and bright and green, however my lights just arent what they used to be at the moment, and my angel killed the piece in my 29, now its in my 90, and from what I thought was dead its coming back!!!! its been slowing growing from 1/4" polyps to now about 1/2" 3/4" maybe some are even an inch.... except one problem... THEY ARE ALL BROWN! NO GREEN whatsoever,,, is it trashed? or have some seen this?

When I moved mine from one tank to anothe they looked brown. Eventually they turned green again, very bright. This was under power compact lighting.

So people like these GSP things?

I was told they spread horribly and can not be contained.

Is this true?

they do spread horribly but can be contained... mine are starting to get to where I can frag them. I am going to make mag rocks out of pop caps and crushed coral and attach small GSP frags to it. Then use them to cover the back wall of the tank with GSP... :)

I wouldnt put them in a small tank since some seems to grow very fast, nor would I put them in a very large tank where it would be difficult to work in and keep them under control. anywhere from 75 gallon to around 180 I would since it has enough room for them to fill in in bare spots but is still easy to reach in and remove them should they start overgrowing somewhere.

I have 2 types in my 125, one that is smaller and a hunter green color that tends to grow pretty quick, and one that is a very bright neon green that has larger polyps and tends to grow a bit slower.

Pulling them out is fairly easy, I just brush them to make the polyps retract them get a corner up and peel it like an onion.

They grow fast on solid surfaces like live rock or overflows but not as well on the sand. They will still grow on the sand, just not as fast. I usually keep them on a rock I can iscolate in the sand so that its easier to control. If its too close to a rock though they can "reach" out and grab the rock next to it.

They grow fast on solid surfaces like live rock or overflows but not as well on the sand. They will still grow on the sand, just not as fast. I usually keep them on a rock I can iscolate in the sand so that its easier to control. If its too close to a rock though they can "reach" out and grab the rock next to it

CIMG0710.jpg

:D :D :D !! ^ the above GSP is how mine used to look =/ but now its brown. lol.... what kind of bulbs are you running surge?

they spread, but can be controlled with reasonable husbandry. The color will come back if you keep conditions stable. Mine have "gone brown" after there is a drastic change in the tank (massive cleaning) but will go back to green over time. They are also super easy to frag, just set a little rock next to your main colony and they will climb over!

surge very nice,,,, and that comment just made me happy because I am ordering my new lighting today, and im getting 2x 250 radiums. :D was that with actnics or no?

GSP aren't too bad...I have a deep tank though and for a while they were threatening to overtake my frogspawn in a place I couldn't reach. However they are nowhere near as annoying as the *&^%! hairy mushrooms, or frilly mushrooms, whatever they are. I've tried squirting kalkwasser concentrate into them, everything...the only thing that actually works is pulling the rock and attacking it with a toothbrush. Those things are a plague. Why can't my angels eat those instead of zoanthids?!

jds

surge very nice,,,, and that comment just made me happy because I am ordering my new lighting today, and im getting 2x 250 radiums. was that with actnics or no?

Yes 2-54w T5 actinic also

Back